Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazyhorse

This mornings squirrel hunt...

9 posts in this topic

This morning I took my Walther Dominator .22 (HPA) and my new MAC 1 LD .22 cal pistol. My plan was to take some squirrels with the rifle,then finish hunt with the pistol..Setting up on an old tree fall, I shot two squirrels who got up on top of a fence post from 51 yards..this rifle is a heavy hitter using JSB 15.8 gr.......I waited another 15 minutes...nothing...so gathered up my gear to make the trek over and retrieve the squirrels..grass/weeds were about two feet high,and thick,so I used my shooting sticks to 'probe' ahead of where I was walking....I got within 2 feet of the fence line and seen part of one squirrel laying at base of the fence post...but then I seen something move....RATTLESNAKE..!! He was lying right next to the squirrel I had shot....I did best I could with pics,but snake was getting agitated,so I backed off...I then went to another area,and shot my first squirrel with the LD .22 pistol from 25 yards.....that made my day !!!PICS..Squirrelhuntday2001.jpgSquirrelhuntday2002.jpgSquirrelhuntday2004.jpgSquirrelhuntday2005.jpgSquirrelhuntday2006.jpgSquirrelhuntday2008.jpgSquirrelhuntday2009.jpg

I love that pistol I need to get one to whack all of the English sparrows that come into my yard. :yikes[1]:;)

I love that pistol I need to get one to whack all of the English sparrows that come into my yard. :signs165xk::653:
Verrry accurate...have tested it out to 40 yards so far...can reach 50 yards easy...best buy I've made in a long time....the 13 1/2 barrel gives it nice balance...have yet to try it with the 3.5 oz tank...been shoot carts...but plan to get tank on for next hunt...can get over 200 shots..!!

Nice hunt and photos. Glad you spotted that rattler!
Been hunting that area for over two years..knew rattlers were there,but never seen one till today...with grass/weeds up I have been going at slow pace keeping my eyes open...

Good eye on the Rattler Rich. I was hunting back in May and damn near stepped on one in some tall weeds that had overtaken a dirt road. I must have startled it, because it didn't even get off a rattle before it sprung up like a jack in a box and attempted to strike.

This one never 'rattled',but I suspect he had already eaten a squeek maybe before I shot those two squirrels. Last year I was standing at corner of a barn on a ranch hunt,when I seen something move at my feet..a rattler came from behind and went between my feet...!! He had eaten something..(I think a small squirrel)..when I shot him,he never 'rattled'..PIC..Ranchsquirrels030.jpg

If I had seen a rattle snake go between my legs, I would be 6 feet off the ground and NEVER come down. I have no idea how I would do that but that is my story and I stickin to it.

I just stood very still till he got clear of my feet...then lowered my 1377C,took aim and put a RWS holow point right in his cabeza...Back in the 70's a friend from Sweden wanted to see our local desert...so we went hiking and I heard a rattlesnake just next to the trail...I got down on my knees,and took this B&W photo with 35 mm standard lens about 18" from this rattlers nose..my friend freaked out...lol...Rattlesnake-1.jpgI lived in New Mexico when I was 12,and we would hunt rattlers often...