socalmatt

4 days in the Sierra back country

16 posts in this topic

I finally found my way up to the Eastern Sierra for the first time in 2010. Five of us back packed to our favorite lake for four days of fishing and general relaxation. I packed in a few extra items this time to make our stay just a bit nicer. The first thing was a compact Chain saw. If you've ever tried cutting through a 12 inch log with a 20 inch bow saw you'll know why this was worth the extra 10 lbs. There is a ton of dead fall trees in the area but they are getting further away from our camp, this made the wood gathering much easier. Needless to say we, had some nice fires.I also hiked in a FWB 124 air rifle that I finished repairing. We did some plinking and had a couple of shoot offs when the wind picked up on the lake and the fishing slowed down. At almost 9 lbs.'s scoped it made my pack very heavy. I think I will leave it home next year. The fishing was good as always. We released 3/4 of the fish we caught and cooked a few for dinner a couple of nights. Photos* 001_1-1.jpg004_4.jpg008_8.jpg013_13.jpg016_16.jpg030_30.jpg034_34.jpg037_37.jpg045_45.jpg

Those are some dandy looking fish. Looks like you guys had a great time.

That looks like you had a blast! I need to make it up to the Sierras one day for a trip like that. I bet that fish tasted great. Did you see any rabbits or any big game?

Thanks Bullseye, I've been fishing this spot for 18 years and have never seen any rabbits. We see mule deer every trip and the occasional coyote. I've also jumped a covey Mountain quail on the hike in a few times.

My Dad hunted the area back in the 60's but i've never applied for a tag. A few of my buddies have hunted the area also and have done well. I've seen groups of 5-6 fork horns, but mostly doe.

Looks like a good time was had by all.

I love the Sierras! Looks like you all had a great time...nice fish!

Great pics! Looks like a load of fun!! That is one gorgeous spot you have there. I feel for the guy that had to pack the chain saw!

what exact area is that? i can't camp this year because of finanaces.my wife and i did 5 days at mt. whitney last septemberand 4 days may of '09 in lone pine. :) the best ever was our honeymoon in kings canyon.man i need a break. :) way cool pics!