fyrewil

Glock 21 BLOWN UP!

16 posts in this topic

During a meeting one of my Captains showed me his hand that had a 3" blood blister and said (my Glock 21 blew up on me) with a smile.... Come over later and see what you think.Curiously I drove over after lunch to find a mdl 21 fractured on both sides of the mag well from top to about 1/2 wat down grip.Ramp on barrel blown off.Casing still inside barrel with obvious seperation at bottom of casing, casing expanded unable to remove.Slide still intact. But seperated from weaponbarrel straight with no bulging.History:Him and his buddy from school reloaded some rounds, started off using min load from Speer manual, loaded 8 rounds each working the load up (did not load max)one was doing the measuring as the other placed the bullet into the casing.one had about 30 minutes of reloading experience (powder measuring) other just started reloading Dec 2009.Accident happend on the last shot of 8.Casings used were recycled from local area shooting ranges (picked up) no history on amout of firing.Impression "Hot load" or Double load? or could have been crack/ stressed casing.He has contacted Glock for assistance in finding cause.Any thoughts?

Possibly under loaded as it can cause detonation. I've seen it blow bolt actioned guns apart.

I would suspect the powder charge due to "only 30 minutes of reloading experience." First thing Glock will say is they do not reccommend using handloads in their pistols.

Look something like this?Do a Google search on "Glock kb!" there's a wealth of info out there...Or LinkWhile not the sole reason the unsupported chamber in Glocks exacerbate the problem.

Probably because glocks are made of plastic. :pirashoot:

And you also can't shoot cast bullets in a glock - their screwball "rifling" can't handle it.
Don't know where people get these crazy ideas from. My best friend & hunting partner carries a 27 for his CCW and it absolutely loves my 155 gr Lasercast reloads. Maybe it's the oddball, but I would try it first before blowing them off. He borrowed my recipe, is reloading his own now, and couldn't be happier. Try it first.

UPDATE!Glock with ammo was sent back to Glock for inspection.Conclusion: 45 rounds were loaded P+P+P+. Glock with no questions asked just replaced with new mdl 21.Now that is what I call customer service... they found the problem to be overload and reload, but still stood behind there product and replace the weapon even after it was detirmind to be loose nut behind the wheel..... er gun... er reloader!Long story short, his wife did not like the mdl 21 due to the size of the grip being too big, so I traded my mdl 23 for it!2 happy people.GLOCK ROCKS on customer service, I thought for sure they would have said "Sorry this was your problem" :dead horse::drinks:

i've held several glocks but never shot one. they feel cheap to me.then again i'm a well biased 1911 guy.that is some SCARY stuff!!!!

Yeah they really over loaded it.I was going to say maybe weak brass and an un supported chamber caused it.I have read you can buy another barrel that does not have the un supported chamber and then reload for it .That is one reason they are so reliable .Drop a bullet in the barrel chamber and you can see how lose it fit's in it.