Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shoot-it

e caller

8 posts in this topic

Well I built a electronic caller from Al's plans its real simple mp3 mini amp and PA horn. I went out to day and tried it out sounded real good. It was almost dark so i played coyote howls trying too get a dog to vocalize back then i changes too rabbit distress before I new it I heard a big screech and I saw a big owl in a death dive at my head all I could say was HEY and he swooped up WOW that scared the dog poop out of me.............then again it was cool too. has anyone had that happen before?

Death from above! :) Oh that the Airborne motto. :) I sure have and it can be surprising to say the least. I had a golden eagle land next to a bush my FoxPro was hidden in. Owls really seem to be drawn in along with hawk, crows and magpies. Everybody's looking for a free meal. ;)

Yeah, me too, LOTS of times...Hawks, Ravens, Owls etc... I think the owls concern &/or have scared me the most... They can make a LOUD racket, look HUGE, especially when in your face & seem to come the closest of all... Almost as if they're blind as a bat and have to get close to see what you are. How they ever spot small mice from far distances, I'll never know. LOLGuess an army helmet would not be a bad idea sometimesFrank

Those magpies are the worst but a good decoy. Up in the northern part of California I would make stands and you would have 7 or 8 + magpies all over the tree I was under so much noise you hear whats going on.

Hey slayer where have you been........anyway I won't give up I will keep on calling I am thinking the best time will be in the winter less food around.I saw one too day nice dog had no gun then he ran in the corn feild ........ ;)

Hey don't give up man the pups are getting bigger and are out on there own. They are dumb and looking for a easy meal just keep going out there and more you are out in the field the better chance you got of busting one.

I am always in the Field don't forget I live on a daiyfarm.................... ;) well not all the time. when I do see them I don't have a gun . thanks for the encouragement. slayer

Those magpies are the worst but a good decoy.
I have FoxPro's magpie distress on my caller. My next door neighbor was having a BBQ one evening with guests and I couldn't help using the magpie call to invite a few uninvited guests. We have lots of magpies that fly over at night on their way to roost. So I put the caller out on the opposite side of the house and hit the magpie distress. :D The magpies start descending into the surrounding trees and squawking like nothing you've ever heard. :o I didn't really think they would stay because of the people around their pool but they sure did. We must have had a hundred or more magpies and some crows in the trees and I'm sure they thought it was Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds! :rolleyes: After a few minutes my wife made me turn off the caller. ;) But it was sure fun to tease the neighbors. :D