Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baxter

Time on my hands

22 posts in this topic

Well I have some time on my hands as of late, being mister mom and all, so I decided to make a set of shooting/waliking sticks. First I found some nice strong but light wood and sanded it down and put some Thompsons deck waterseal on them. I believe the wood is birch. I sanded with 80 grit then 200, cleaned with mineral spirits and applied six coats of Thompsons. th_IMG_0322.jpgth_IMG_0326.jpg Inbetween coats I let dry for a couple of hours and hit it with a scuffing pad and last coat, over night, and went over it with a sponge. I knew I was going to need some sort of padding so I wouldn't make noise or scratch my precious ar and I had just the thing, an old work boot. Told the wife there was a reason I never threw it away.IMG_0320.jpg Trimmed it up with my recently sharpened cheapo knife and started the test fitting.IMG_0321.jpg It still needed some trimming to get a nice clean and tight fit, with loops covering the exposed wood.IMG_0327.jpg Once I finished that, they had to be waterproofed too, so out came the mink oil. I forgot I had all this stuff. Applied generously and put in baggie for tonight and will finish tomorrow.IMG_0329.jpg Stay tuned.....

Baxter,Jest wondering if you read VarmintAl's shooting stick write up.Seems like you're making shooting sticks that may become family heirlooms. Have fun & don't forget to post your shooting results.

Continued. Drilled and mounted my hardware, with adjustability,IMG_0331.jpgAlso added old boot loops to the top of each stick with some nails I had.IMG_0330.jpg Wrapped old Georgia farm and ranch boot leather around sticks and secured with nails, I might need to go back and put some glue in some places. All and all I think they came out real nice, and probably under $10 bucks. Thanks for looking.IMG_0332.jpgIMG_0333.jpgIMG_0334.jpgIMG_0335.jpgCoyotes Beware.

Man, those look great. What is the height of the crotch when you spread them for use?

Thanks. Sitting on my butt, they are 22", the useable length in from 26" to about 16", but 16" is pushing it.

Looking Good ! Drill some holes in the bottoms of the legs and epoxy some 20D nails and yer ready! Good looking Sticks!

THanks Ornery and Thumper. Would the Nails be for bite? I was going to cut a wedge and maybe stain the wood darker. Probably give them to my Pops a Fathers Day present to, hope he likes them.

They cam out very nice.I like the leather ends.Mine are not that nice I just used intube rubber.Also if you can find some 1 inch thick bamboo they make some nice standing shooting sticks. They are strong+ light .

THanks Ornery and Thumper. Would the Nails be for bite? I was going to cut a wedge and maybe stain the wood darker. Probably give them to my Pops a Fathers Day present to, hope he likes them.
The nails will help get a good bite on the harder soils.Just cut the heads off and epoxy them into place. Looking good!

Really nice. I would love a set like that. Have to get hoppin here around thehouse and try my hand

Im not going to lie I came on this post to talk poop to you about being a cheap ass but im not going to deny that those are pretty bad ass. Now i want to make some just because its cool to make your own stuff especialy when it turns out that good.