Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtnap

Hides need to be tanned

14 posts in this topic

I have a few hides that need to be tanned. I would rather send them out to someone, rather than do it myself. Who do you use, and what do they charge? Thanks.

Find a Tandy leather store near you. They carry a product called "Tannit". A bottle that says it will tan two deer hides costs about $40. I bought one and tanned a squirrel. It worked.

Before you hit the tandy store WHAT are you wanting to do with these hides and what are they.. If this is coyotes/bobcats and you want them dry tanned nice and soft so you can drape over the sofa or hang on the wall send them to a tannery. You will need to split the eyes, lips nose and turn the ears and take the paws down to the last knuckle leaving the claw attached.. Also split the tail open clear to the tip.. Remove all meat, fat and membrane, Salt them real good for 24 hours,. shake off and resalt again once all fulids are drained and hide is getting ALMOST to the crispy stage you will need to fold it up skin side OUT and place in a box to dry the rest of the way..If you try and fold it when its completely dry it will break..Squirrels are small very thin skinned.. coyotes are thicker skinned ... then we have deer and such that actually need to be shaved thin.. WIldlife fur dressers in Ceres charges 42.00 for coyotes but there is a 50.00 minimum, has to be salt dried otherwise there is a prep/salt fee although Im pretty sure they dont take in raw... so figure if you do the prep yourself send 2 so you arent wasting the extra bucks..Also the shipping charges are extra so plan on that if you dont take them in yourself.. I charge 150.00 for coyote wall hangers.. I do everything you just bring in the skin or the whole animal and you get back a soft nice dry tanned skin.. There is one in TUrlock called Golden State that Ive not used before.. dont know what they charge.. Another in the bay area but I dont know their name.. should be in a phone book I would think.

Golden state did a great job on my stuff. About $35 per coyote/bobcat pelt. Check out post No. 28 on this post for a look at the finish product.http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/ind...showtopic=17821

The tanner in South San Francisco is New Method Fur Dressing (New Method FD). It's a big operation. I've had deer skins done there for a good price, but they raised prices to the public awhile back. They don't do or send out for leather any longer.

golden state tannery in turlock does a very good job if you just want a dry tan. something to hang on the wall or drape over something. prices are very reasonable compared to taxidermists. they except raw hides, the salting fee is $3.00 and splitting and turning is only like $10.00 to $12.00. for coyote and bobcats, you're looking at about $50.00 if you drop it off raw. as far as their wet tans, i have not been happy with them. i took in 3 deer hides last year(i normally do them myself) to be wet tanned for mounting and will never go back. they will still get my business for dry tans but for tans that need to be mounted, i will do them myself.

supposed to say "hides that need to be mounted" and not "tans that need to be mounted". my bad.

Hey nje, next time you see an error in a post that you want to fix, just click on the edit button (bottom right). fix it then re post the edited version.