Sign in to follow this  
BC9696

Quality .243 ammo

Whadda you guys like for shooting yotes to deer w/ a .243? Hornady seems to be popular. I like to shoot heavier grains but am unsure what the Howa 20" - 1:14 twist barrel can stabilize. Thinking boattail is my best bet...am I wrong? Still trying to figure out all this ballistics stuff. TIA

most likley your barrel in a 243 is a 1-9". One bullet to do both deer and coyote . I would use a remington 80 grain power lokt hollow points. Extremley accurate not cheap at 33.00 per box. I have killed lots of big boars with this and all are bang-flop.

I questioned Howa via phone, they said 1:14.EDIT: Turns out it was not the Howa site but a cheap knock-off and the guy knew nothing. The twist IS 1:10. www.howa1500.com is not Howa the Mfr.Cleaned my desk out (something I do about once every 4 years or so) and found an old BassPro gift card w/ $50. on it so I ordered a couple of boxes. Wow! $78. (w/ shipping) for 40 rounds...this stuff ain't cheap!

Boat tails are longer than regular spitzers bullets of similar weight so they require a faster twist. Remember that required twist is dependent upon the bullets length not weight. A 1:10" twist will stabilize a 100 grain spitzer hunting bullet but might not stabilize a 100 grain match bullet because the sleeker profile and boat tail makes them a lot longer.Personaly, I prefer the 85 and 95 grain Nosler Partitions bullets for medium game hunting with the 243. I have used the Hornady Interlocks for 30+ years and have never had a failure in them either. Try the 100 grain flatbase.

Cleaned my desk out (something I do about once every 4 years or so) and found an old BassPro gift card w/ $50. on it so I ordered a couple of boxes. Wow! $78. (w/ shipping) for 40 rounds...this stuff ain't cheap!
That's why I load my own. I can reload my 243 with premium bullets and loaded for maximum accuracy in my gun for less than $20/box