renaissancehunter

coyote - where's the den?

9 posts in this topic

I put my game camera out where I saw tracks and got lots of photos of a single coyote, jacks, and crows galore. I shot a few rabbits and left them for the coyote. Apparently, they will take more then they can eat and will save it for later. This coyote took a rabbit then returned 8 minutes later, took another, then returned 8 minutes later, took another, then returned 8 minutes later. Very consistent. Is it fair to think he took them to his den? If so, I'm thinking his den is 1/3rd of a mile away. I figure a 5 mph trot of 4 minutes to get there means it's 1/3rd mile away. Does that sound reasonable?Let's see if I can figure out how to upload a photo...

I would say that is a reasonable assumption and given your estimate on distance, perhaps it would be possible to backtrack the sucker back to his hidey hole. That would be very interesting. I'd like to hear what you find out.

Soooooo... are you hunting this coyote?? Doing a study, biologist, just taking pics or what?because its illegal to bait in Calif..

I shot a few rabbits and left them for the coyote.
Just so you know all rabbits in California are considered game animals. So shooting and leaving them can get you cited.
ยง257. Resident Small Game Defined."Resident small game" means the following resident game birds: Chinese spotted doves, Eurasian collared-doves, ringed turtle-doves of the family Columbidae, California quail and varieties thereof, Gambel's or desert quail, mountain quail and varieties thereof, sooty grouse and varieties thereof, ruffed grouse, sage grouse (sage hens), white-tailed ptarmigan, Hungarian partridges, red-legged partridges, including the chukar and other varieties, ring-necked pheasants and varieties, and wild turkeys of the order Galliformes; and the following game mammals: jackrabbits and varying hares (genus Lepus), cottontail rabbits, brush rabbits, pigmy rabbits (genus Sylvilagus), and tree squirrels (genus Sciurus and Tamiasciurus).

John, I think he meant to say that he set them down for a few minutes and the coyote took the rabbits before he returned to take them.

shouldnt be scratching out a den yet,a couple of months they will be.they just packed it off to not eat it in front of you.