knox35

Superbowl Sturgeon Derby

19 posts in this topic

We will be out there somewhere Bay on Sat. and move inland Delta Sat night. If all else fails and the fishing sucks we will still have the Bar B Que going off the back of the boat.

I have been thinking about it. But the a warm fire on a couch watching the game keeps winning out lol

Thats why you buy a boat with a sleeper and heater just in case. As far as the game goes we will be home in time for kickoff.

Thats why you buy a boat with a sleeper and heater just in case
Mental note to self. buy bigger boat next time. Have side curtains and a back curtain and a buddy heater. Just not sure if I want to pull it all out. I am holding out for some spring time trout/Kokanee/Coho fishing :signs1180lq:

I agree but my boat is ready to roll or float just have to load the poles beer and food and go. Cost of trip free. Cost of getting away from the house priceless.

Knox~ i wanna do the derby this year, can you explain to me how it works. Been fishing for Sturgeon for years now, just never have done the derby. I got my favorite spots out in the western side of the delta. Maybe we can trade secrets or something about spots. But, overall, jusy curious what to expect...Thanks

Just search originalsuperbowlsturgeonderby and it should pop up. I am going for the first time with others who are more familiar with it.

Knox~do they differ or is it just seperate days??? And should i bye bait prior to (a day or two) or do the baitshops stock enough for the derbies?!?

One derby pays more and is more politically ran you know crooked like our President. The other pays less but they take the top 7 guys closest to the decided lenght and throw the names in the hat and draw. If you are good enough to place in the top 7 you have a chance of still winning first place. This is the info I have been given by others who have fished both before.

Did any of you fish the Diamond Classic Catch & Release Derby?My partner and I did. It was a blast. We won it last year but this year we only got one oversize. Turned out to be the largest of the derby.We'll be out there fishing the superbowl Derb. Good luck and be safe.flashderby2010004.jpg

We wont make it the boat cover ripped and the interior is trashed from the last storm. It was only 7200.00 worth of damage thank god for insurance now we just have to wait for the check.

Had planned on going but my two fishing buddies had to cancel at the last minute. Good luck and stay safe.Robert

wel headed out to one of my not so favorite spots but turned out to be pretty good! Didn't win the derby (or even place for that matter) but had a good time! One of the guys i work with got the first one, measured 52.5 inches, and mine later that day was 52 inches. After the clouds cleared out the wind out in the pittsburg area was freakin howlin'...called it qiuts at about 8 that night and got done with cleaning the fish around ten or so. The goal size for the derby was 63 inches and the last time i looked at the board someone had first place with 62 and 15/16. but again, ahd a good time for the first time that i ahve entered it. take care all!