Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Ty

Camo on my shotgun

16 posts in this topic

I want to camo my shotgun and I don't have any idea the proper way to do it. I have a Mossberg that I want to use for home defense and yote hunting and I want to paint it. What is the best way to do this. I figure I need to get all of the solvent and oil off of it beforehand but what else do I need to know. I know that one of the guys wrote a post a while back but I can't remember where. Thanks for the help and the wisdom of the guys on this forum. Ty :smiley-funny-post-sign:

That's a beautiful job. How exactly did you do it? Prep? Any tips would be great. Thanks.Ty

Here is a write-up I did over at Calguns:I only use Krylon Fusion Camouflage rattle can paint from Wal-mart.On this one, I used three colors....Tan as the base, then Green, then Brown.The paint will wear off over time in highly used area's (charging handle), but I have had mine for about a year and the small amounts of rubbing are barely noticeable (especially since I don't really care cause it's a hunting rig).The nice thing is if it gets messed up, just spray a bit of paint and it's fixed.As for the pattern, I think the BEST pattern to us is to take a straw style floor broom, trim the bristles off and fan them out. This gives you the fine lines. You have to have a bunch of these because once they get too wet from the paint you have to use a new bunch.Base coat I think is USUALLY 2-coats, but you just have to go by trial and error. You don't want to spray it on too thick, but you want full coverage as well. You want it JUST thick enough to cover without having it build up. Remember you are going to use two more colors, so if you miss a tiny spot with the tan, you can make up for it later. Paint the WHOLE rifle tan, wait for that to dry, then do your patterning with the green and brown. Be sparingly as you can cover a lot with the darker green and tan. Lastly, I have found that using Tan again at the end helps to lighten everyhting up. I had a bunch of light overspray from the green and brown so if you don't do the tan at the end, the whole gun takes on kind of a green/gray haze. Around here, tan/green/gray haze works perfect for hunting though.Good luck, I hope all that helps.

Here is a little video of a little stock I built up for a friend. The end of it has a short piece on camo painting. By the way, it was for a 10/22.th_RonBrunksstock.jpg

Thanks for the info. I've never painted a firearm before but I figure what the hell if I'm going to be using it and it needs it. After all it isn't an expensive shotgun or anything. I really appreciate the tips. If I get it right I'll post some pics and get your opinion of what you think. Have a great day.Ty

Thanks for the info. I've never painted a firearm before but I figure what the hell if I'm going to be using it and it needs it. After all it isn't an expensive shotgun or anything. I really appreciate the tips. If I get it right I'll post some pics and get your opinion of what you think. Have a great day.Ty
Don't be scared, just do it. I have painted my $1200 Beretta Shotgun, $600 Tikka T3 rifle, $850 Stag Ar-15 and a few more that I own plus a bunch for other people. All of my firearms are purpose built so I'm not worried about messing them up with a little paint. Beware though that painting them is supposed to lower the resale value by like $100.I really like the protection and NO glare that camoing gives my firearms.

Maybe throw some clear coat after you are finished with the colors, that should help it hold up better.

It will hold up better, but I have found the clearcoat adds too much sheen (reflects). The krylon fusion camo holds up pretty well on it's own.

Go to this page on our website Camo It! and scroll down to the Camo It article. it's easy and fun. Wannakillacoyote is right. Don't clear coat, it gives the finish too much sheen and promotes flashing and glare.

Wannakillacoyote is right.
Just had to quote this. :rolleyes: lol

Be very careful where you lay it it may be very hard to find :rolleyes:

:lol: Yep there's a first time for everything Chris! :yikes[1]:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing lol "Every dog has his day".