Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph64

Gun Rests

25 posts in this topic

Unless you are working up loads for a really big caliber or have a problem with recoil I wouldn't get one. I've seen them crack stocks a few guns because there is no place for the recoil to go. People over load the sled trying to remove all recoil and something has to give. A couple of sand bags made from old denim pants work great. Of course this is from the guy that has at least a half dozen different types of mechanical rests.

Yeah, there are many different ones that's for sure. But the Sand bags are very easy to make like I mentioned or you can buy one like these.DSC_0008-2.jpgDSC_0009.jpgDSCN0273.jpgSpotting.jpgor you can go with a mechanical rest like this.DSC_0006.jpgDSCN0439.jpgVarmintUpper1.jpg

If your into seriously investing in a good, rock solid rest, check out Hyskores. They are great, and even have some models with remote trigger release. Or you could get a cabela'scatalog and surf through it. They have some good buys as low as $60-$100 for an excellent rest system.

That's not using a rest anymore when you have them strapped down like that. I like to have some control over the weapon.

I use my backpack-even at the range. When I get hungry, I reach inside for a snack. I like practicing with what I use in the field. When sighting in though, I mount my Harris shorty bipods and use a small sand bag under the rifles' butt.

I use sandbags and a sled. I prefer the sled for sighting in scopes and if you don't overload it, it's a great platform for this application. I usually put 50-90lbs of lead on it (depending on caliber of rifle) and my big bore gun still moves it. It's also padded in the rear so i am not concerned about it breaking my stock. The sled is also great for comparing different ammo. Many guys w/ different types of bags often ask to borrow my sled (when I'm not using it) so they have a place. Once i have my ammo & scope dialed in...I switch. For regular practice I use my shooting stix, Harris bipod or offhand.

I use a Caldwell JR front rest and a sandbag my lovely bride sewed out of some denim pant leg for a rear rest. I've also used a number of homemade sand bags before for the front rest, works just fine. I doubt that most of us could shoot any better off of a $200 front rest than a good solid sandbag. They are just handier to adjust for different rifles.I shoot quite a bit at another friends house, he has a nice table built and a homemade front rest he built out of sissor jack. Has a nice leather front rest bag on it. That thing cost him a few dollars to build, weighs about 30lbs, and is the nicest rest to shoot off of I've ever seen.

I myself use my gun case and an old sandbag with nothing at the rear but my shoulder. Works fine for me, and I consitently get 1 inch groups with my favorite guns. I personally have never owned a Hyskore, but my friend had one and I tried it out. I, too, like to be the one actually handling my gun, not the rest.

don't laugh I use a pillow half filled with sand and a old leather bag filled with sand to but it works. A friend gave me a few money bags to that I am sure will make good sand bags.

Money bags work good. But old Levi pant legs from below the knee make some of the longest lasting and best bags. But you do have to sew them shut.

Shot bags are good also if you reload shotgun ammo

Money bags work good. But old Levi pant legs from below the knee make some of the longest lasting and best bags. But you do have to sew them shut.
I did the levi bags to but I left them out on the shooting table and the weather just destroyed them.What I need to do is set a small storage locker out there and hide it next to a tree.

My business has a few of the lead sleds, we use them as gun craddles & siting in & pattern. I have zero complaints. Couldnt find a better solid rest for a firearm.

Here is my tightwad setup ;)Actually, it works very well. A more accomplished woodworker could easily make the rear rest adjustable to more tightly clamp the stock of the rifle, I was thinking something with a slide and a couple of wingnuts would work, or a padded woodworkers vise. I made these out of some scraps I had after building shelves in the gunroom, and they work just fine for my use. I just glued the felt to the wood with some fabric glue my bride uses for sewing projects.post-3-1284096075.jpgpost-3-1284096079.jpg

Three 3/4" dowels & an O-ring.wy05shoot_sticks.jpg:signs1180lq: Then all you need is a field full of burrowing rodents and a TC with a 17 AH barrel.

I use the basic Lead Sled of a few years ago and like the option of adding weight to it to reduce recoil if needed. I usually use it as is b/c it does enough recoil reduction with its own weight. I got mine at Turners for $89 several yrs ago and unless you're really recoil sensitive...several other options including those pictures above would probably be a better option. SnS

Yeah, there are many different ones that's for sure. But the Sand bags are very easy to make like I mentioned or you can buy one like these.DSC_0008-2.jpgDSC_0009.jpgDSCN0273.jpgSpotting.jpgor you can go with a mechanical rest like this.DSC_0006.jpgDSCN0439.jpgVarmintUpper1.jpg
I think it's really neat that all of those different people let you take pics of thier guns.. :signs1242cn:

What if your hunting? Do you bring sandbags with you on a deer hunt?