SAGITARUS

BOW FISHING

23 posts in this topic

Folks, where can I find the rules for "BOW FISHING" in Ca DFG rule book?

You can go here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/Then click on Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations BOOKLET Page 13

2.25. Bow and Arrow Fishing.Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only for the taking of carp, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, all year, except in:( a ) Designated salmon spawning areas.( b ) The Colorado River District where only carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet may be taken.( c ) See bullfrogs (section 5.05).( d ) The East Fork Walker River between Bridgeport Dam and the Nevada State line where carp only may be taken during trout season.

What rules do you want to know?Be careful getting started. It won't take long until your fishing boat turns into a carp boat.IMG_1151.jpgcarp2.jpgcarp1.jpgfish5.jpg

Dang, looks like you guys had a really good day. What lake were you in?

holy cow thats awesome. give us the details of the pics! do you even bother eating those nasty things?

Don't want to get too crazy with posting carp stuff right now. It'll give my partner (augnmike) a heart attack. The poor guy is so addicted to shooting fish now that it's what he thinks about while coyote hunting.The above pic was a pretty average day at the right time up in Big Bear. There are lots of fish to be taken up there at the right time of year.And NO we don't eat them, but there are lots of happy coyotes during the summer.

dang Tim, thats awesome. I've battled carp on light line before but have never bow fished. Thats incredible.

Holy cow. i've always wanted to do that. you got room in your boat :censored[1]:

Thank you guys for the insights, infos, etc...I have seen these Carps during their spawning episodes last spring in my local lake state park...I thought they were some sort of odd behaving bass...cuz none were willing to take my entire arsenal of bass lures. Geez, next time I'll take my bow rig it for fishing. Are Carps really nasty tasting fish? Not even for sweet and sour recipe?

The Chinese people eat the heck out of carp.

I have seen these Carps during their spawning episodes last spring in my local lake state park.
Check that place out before you attempt to bow hunt at that lake. It's illegal to shoot carp at the state park near me and there is no hunting of any kind allowed there. No bows or other firearms except shotguns are allowed in but a few state parks and recreation areas from what I remember. Best to check on that one before you go out and get cited.

The Chinese people eat the heck out of carp. So do the mongs

Holy cow. i've always wanted to do that. you got room in your boat :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:
Casey, Head over to Almanor, its loaded with carp. Ive shot several dozen there right over the edge of 36. They are a ton of fun to shoot, but even more fun to catch on a fly rod. It takes some serious patience though. Blaine

I know the outriggers help, but that must take some practice!!!

Tim-You do it like this?
One of these days!!!! I think it would be about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

Thank you guys for the insights, infos, etc...I have seen these Carps during their spawning episodes last spring in my local lake state park...I thought they were some sort of odd behaving bass...cuz none were willing to take my entire arsenal of bass lures. Geez, next time I'll take my bow rig it for fishing. Are Carps really nasty tasting fish? Not even for sweet and sour recipe?
If you cut out the red mud veins on the sides of the fish and prepare them correctly, they can be a very tasty fish. The problem I have with carp is that they have more bones than just about every north american gamefish that we are used to eating. This can also be dealt with if you skor the meat with a fillet knife in the right places and fry in very hot oil, but I do not personally know how to do this.

we bowfish down by the S sea.. If anyone goes down that way make sure u know what type of carp u are shooting as u can not shoot grass carp...