Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
camopaint

Spotlight rheostats...build or buy?

5 posts in this topic

So, Ive got one of them 6V optronics scope mount lights that Id like to use as a hand held light, while the factory batteries dont last as long as Id like them too, I belive that Red has led me to a solution in a larger battery. Now the question is, in order to preserve battery life and to extend the run time, Id like to find a rheostat for these optronics lights. I see that one of the lights that Red is selling has a rheo, but its a 12V light, and I havent been able to locate a 6V optronics rheo for these lights. Would the 12V rheo work on a 6V light/battery or is there a better option in purchasing or building a rheo? If building one is the only option, where the heck would I start? Lets work this out fellas, those optronics lights are pretty good for the price, the only downside being the run times on the battery, but purchasing a larger 6V battery from the link that Red posted in his for sale thread will solve that problem.

There are lots of battery places like Batteries R Us and many others. Buy the largest one you can carry because with a 6 volt it will have to be with you. As for a rheostat they are expensive. You can find them on electronic sites on the web. But I think it's cheaper just to go with a bigger battery for the 6 volt light.

Radio shack useto have them and I think a 12 volt would work fine on a 6 vole Battery

Might try surplus stores.If your are near Pasadena,there used to be one on Colorado Ave-C+H Surplus.Should check the phone book though.

Ohmite is one of the companies I have used that make rheostats. Like SJ said, they are not always cheap. You need to take care selecting rheostats. I used a 100 watt, 25 ohm, 250 VDC, 1.25 turn rheostat when helping a buddy make one for his spotlight several years ago that was mounted to his vehicles. His spotlight was approx. 55 watt and it tested out good. I found the rheostat in a electronics junkpile, so it only cost a couple of dollars as I recall.Happy Hunting,RickNewark is a distributor for Ohmite: http://www.newark.com/