Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fireboy

Gun Control from the Misses. HELP!

39 posts in this topic

Just another reason to go with Verizon oh and stay off the nudie sites and your hard drive won't crash. I apologized for being so late getting back to thank you all, for it has notbeen without reason. First of all one hard drive went out and the other starteddoing some very strange things so I wasn't getting on the Internet until Igot the hard drive replace which took over a week. Then the at&t modem went outwe though and they sent out a replacement which has been nothing but problemsconnecting to one of their severs so I'm told.

I hunt alone quite a bit and I have a SPOT. I set it up so I can send a message that my wife can receive on her computer at work or on the computer at home letting her know I'm ok and it will plot the location where the message was sent on Google Earth. (If hunt in Nevada you might want to be carefull where you send the I'm ok message from!) You can also send a help message to someone you set it up to notify if you are just having minor difficulty like being stuck or having car trouble or you can send a full blown emergency message that triggers an emergency response to your location. It also gives me peace of mind to know that I can get emergency help if needed almost anywhere on earth. I aint as young as I once was and if I were to conk out somewhere, or do something stupid like I can from time to time, I can at least let someone else know I'm in trouble. The unit sells for $150 at Cabela's and you usually get a certificate for a free year subscription and for $10 bucks extra you can purchase extraction insurance that will cover up to $500,000 in costs for dragging your tail out of the wilds.I've never had any problem with mine and I've had it a year now. Keep in mind that most of the people who love their Spot are not as likely to write a review as the people that have had trouble with theirs. You can find a bad review on the internet about almost anything.If you hunt alone, it's cheap insurance. Get your wife to buy one for you for Christmas. At least you will find out if she really cares whether you're missing or not.Dan

Does the SPOT device have a competitor?Cabela's was offering them for "free" (full rebate of purchase price) but the catch was you needed to sign a 2-year service contract. $200 or $100/year. Obviously, in an emergency, that's nothing but I couldn't help wonder if they are the only game in town? Anyone know?

Dan, what is the deal with your statement ....(If hunt in Nevada you might want to be carefull where you send the I'm ok message from!) ...

Braz, When your "I'm OK." message location pops up on google earth from downtown Winnemucca or from the Bunny Ranch you might really be in trouble. SPOT is accurate to about 10 yards. Just my attempt at being funny.Dan

Sorry, getting too old for that kinda thing to enter my mind. ;)

Braz, When your "I'm OK." message location pops up on google earth from downtown Winnemucca or from the Bunny Ranch you might really be in trouble. SPOT is accurate to about 10 yards. Just my attempt at being funny.Dan
LMAO! Somehow I knew exactly what you were referring to Dan, before you 'splained it! haha! Sage advice, Dan, sage advice!

Thanks for posting the amazon information. I was reading some of the reviews and its kinda scary trusting your life to this unit.I was thinink about jumping blind into one of these and now feel I should do more research. Just remember that whatever service plan you go with, just because the map shows an orange color over your hunting locations does not mean in any way that you will have service there. Heavy wooded areas and canyons can kill your phone reception.

Does the SPOT device have a competitor?Cabela's was offering them for "free" (full rebate of purchase price) but the catch was you needed to sign a 2-year service contract. $200 or $100/year. Obviously, in an emergency, that's nothing but I couldn't help wonder if they are the only game in town? Anyone know?
Bass Pro Mastinka was offering the same 149 mail in rebate 1 year contract

I bought a SPOT messenger this spring to take with me to the Cedarville area. no cell reception in that area for my T-Mobile cell but the SPOT worked flawlessly for my wife and son to track my locations when I was hunting in the fields or when I was in the ranch house. I got the SPOT for free after rebates but I did have to sign on for an extended contract.

Not only does a good carrier matter but a good phone does also. They are always updated the hardware and firmware in phones to be clearer and have greater reception, higher quality (usually the more expensive) phones will have better internals than the el cheapo phones.

Gee Dan why how would you know about them places ?? LMAO SOry Couldnt resist LOL...

I am lost Why would I be in trouble with the wife if a message says I am a t a Ranch that has Bunnies?? and what is wrong with down town Winnemucca my daddy use to spend the night there coming and going out of state of state hunting every year heck sometimes their truck would break down and he would even have to spend a couple of nights their. Robert