Troy08er

Looking for and easy to use Howler

43 posts in this topic

What size are you looking for? I can sell you one for $30 shipped to your door. Nice wood too, not that crappy plastic stuff you get with the commercial calls. It is also guaranteed, you like it or I take it back, no questions asked. And if anything ever go wrong with it, I'll fix it or replace it.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know if they are female or male sounds. I do know they work. Just ask the guys on this forum. :good:

PM sent.

The howler tone and pitch question is an interesting one. I generally tune our howlers to a little higher pitch, sometimes called a "bitch-pitch". I do this because I believe that too low a pitch (one that may be described as an Alpha male) can scare off lesser coyotes. The bitch-pitch howler tone is non-intimidating and has brought in all sized coyotes. Coyote sized predators are always wary and by virtue of their day-to-day life, they have to be on alert at all times. I don't feel there is anything to gain by a deeper, or lower pitched howler. I like a cow horn howler that projects a mid range bitch-pitch sound and invites all coyotes that hear it. There are some excellent call makers on this forum and the most valuable aspect is that every call maker incorporates their own ideas based upon their own personal experience. That's what makes the CPC forum so valuable to each and every one of us.:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Red you are right on with the tone. I also like a higher pitch howler for the same reason.

Here's one that I made, super easy to use and sounds Like a smaller dog or a female.post-3003-1259806347_thumb.jpgI believe that the horn howlers give you more sound, and higher pitch so if you're looking to reach out there the horn calls are the way to go.

Nice job Jawbreaker. If it sounds as good as it looks it should be one sweet howler.

Nice link about using a female howler.

Thanks guys those are some nice howlers. I have never used or seen a horn howler in action. I never used a howler that much during my calling and only used it to locate.I want to start using it more in my callingThanks for all the info and pics.

After doing my research, I also think the best howler is the female. RANDY ANDERSON has some great stuff on the female howler on youtube. I have never used or seen a horn howler in action, those all look great.Thanks guys for those nice pics and info. I tried to post the youtube link on Randy but it never posted. Thanks guys, Troy

Do a youtube search for:" Calling Predators 4 - Female Howl " . This shows Randy talking for about 5 mins.
---------------------------------------------I always get a certain feeling in my gut whenever I read about "Female" coyote howls. Reminds me of the time I was calling with a state ADC agent, and we had this large coyote cussing us out like blazes. The end of it's challenge was the highest pitch scream you can imagine. That coyote turned out to be an old male.

---------------------------------------------I always get a certain feeling in my gut whenever I read about "Female" coyote howls. Reminds me of the time I was calling with a state ADC agent, and we had this large coyote cussing us out like blazes. The end of it's challenge was the highest pitch scream you can imagine. That coyote turned out to be an old male.
I bet it was one of those gay yotes.

I bet it was one of those gay yotes.
-----------------------------That may be Troy, but he was running with the bitch and her pups. My point is that you can't always tell the sex of a coyote by the pitch of it's howl.

-----------------------------That may be Troy, but he was running with the bitch and her pups. My point is that you can't always tell the sex of a coyote by the pitch of it's howl.
Ha! I think that statement also applies to people.... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Ha! I think that statement also applies to people.... :signs1242cn:
------------------------------------------So are you saying that YOU can usually identify the sex of a coyote by the sound of it's howl? My guess is that you would be wrong at lest half of the time. :signs1180lq:

Nope. I'm not claiming that I can do that. All I originally said is in writing in prior posts. It's my "opinion" that a higher pitched (bitch-pitch...so to speak) will be more likely to bring in more of a cross section of coyotes.

Nope. I'm not claiming that I can do that. All I originally said is in writing in prior posts. It's my "opinion" that a higher pitched (bitch-pitch...so to speak) will be more likely to bring in more of a cross section of coyotes.
-------------------------Yes, and I somewhat agree with your statement. Non aggressive sounding howls are usually recommended when we are not targeting the dominant coyotes. I also believe that it is wise to stay away from using barks, as the bark may sound aggressive to some younger coyotes. I like to use mostly Lonesome sounding howls, and pup squeals myself.

Rich,thanks for your info, couldn't pass up the joke. I am new to the howling end of calling. With mating season around the corner the lonesome howls is on top of my list. On the lonesome howls is it common to hear low pitch howls over high? When I was doing my research, I wanted my howl to be non aggressive, that's why I ordered a high pitch over low. Thanks,Troy

----------------I think you will be fine with the higher pitched howls. Most of the real high pitched howls I hear are mixed in with the other howls in a group/yip howl, sunrise serenade or whatever. I don't hear many "lonesome" howls around here, other than my own anyway. I do my calling in daytime, and coyotes in my area are pretty shut mouthed in daylight The howls I do hear are what I would describe as "medium" in pitch. Most important for youis to not over do it on your howling. Howl once or twice and then wait for a few minutes before howling again. If you can sound remotely like a coyote howling, you will have some luck. Don't worry too much about sounding "exactly" like a real coyote. Some of the worst howls I have heard were made by real coyotes.