Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sangerpb

Ground Squirrel Recipe?

24 posts in this topic

Anyone have one? I would not mind cooking these little guys if I knew a good way to. I hear you have to cut the scent glands off near the bend in the rear legs or the meat tastes bad.

Your kidding right ?? :WTF_1:

Never heard about the sent glands, but when I was a kid my Grandfather would shout the squireels in the backyard, my grandmother would gut/clean them up while pointing out all the major organs to us kids and throw all the meat in with the Sause, taste damm good as I remember it.

Ground squirrels are known carriers of bubonic and phnuemonic plague and should not be touched.

Never heard about the sent glands, but when I was a kid my Grandfather would shout the squireels in the backyard, my grandmother would gut/clean them up while pointing out all the major organs to us kids and throw all the meat in with the Sause, taste damm good as I remember it.
Ground Squirrels??? Sure they were not Tree Squirrels?

Ground Squirrels??? Sure they were not Tree Squirrels?
Right you are, they were tree squirrels. My Grandfather had a walnut tree in the backyard and the little critters just couldn't stay away.

Anyone have one? I would not mind cooking these little guys if I knew a good way to. I hear you have to cut the scent glands off near the bend in the rear legs or the meat tastes bad.
A real good recipe I know of calls for a 50 grain Vmax with a pinch of about 27 grains of Varget, all stuffed neatly into a 223 case and placed into a Remington 700 Varmint Rifle at about 3500 feet per second. Hold the crosshairs steady and press ever so gently on the trigger and its done to perfection. Voila... Carnage Asada is served....Enjoy

Tree squirrels are good eating. Ground squirrels are not. Had a friend who shot some in the hills and did not know the difference. Cooked them and then he knew the difference. Just shoot them and leave them for bait for others to eat.

Ground Squirrel FricaseeIngredients6 average sized ground squirrels1/2 Tbs Pepper1/3 Tbs Salt 1 Tbs Cajun SeasoningPreprationSkin and clean squirrels and pat dry. Mix dry ingrediants in a bowl and rub on to squirrels. CookingPre-Heat oven to 410 and bake for 1 hour. Change setting to Broil low for 2 hours until golden brown.Serving.Take the squirrels and everything they touched and throw them in the garbage! I WOULDN'T FEED THESE TO MY DOGS!

I threw up in my mouth a little :signs165xk::smiley-outta-here:
C'mon Randy you could have some squirrel salami made.......Just don't have your Daughter take it to school.....

Haha! No way Frank. I mean I'll eat just about anything - love that show Bizarre Foods - but stinky lil rodents don't do it for me.

Just throw them dead ground squirrels in a good sized fire skin, guts and all. after all the hair is burned off and you figure they're done, pull'em out of the fire, peel the skin back and chow down. This recipe was reported by a biologist conducting a wildlife survey up in NE CA, during the early 1900's, who witnessed the local indians hunting and eating the local ground squirrels. Chow down folks.

I am sure during the time before white man came here they were fine to eat.The reason they have the plague is lab mice got away from a lab and spread the plague to the ground animals?

...who witnessed the local indians hunting and eating the local ground squirrels. Chow down folks.
Yep and they also used to form a huge circle of tribe members and beat the grass, driving grasshoppers toward a bed of hot coals in the middle of the circle, then feast on the roast hoppers. (Probably a nice side dish at the ground squirrel bbq.)There's a lot to learn from the Indians, but I'll just stick with popcorn when it comes to most of their menu. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

I would like to know that to.. People say alot of things taste like chicken. I think they are lying and just want me to gag..and barf......

I am sure during the time before white man came here they were fine to eat.The reason they have the plague is lab mice got away from a lab and spread the plague to the ground animals?
:Dor the ship rats were infected with the plague and were carried from port to port by the commercial ships of the middle ages before there were lab mice or labs or infected scientist blood suckers. :two-cents::signbummer8tl:

The people I saw eating them have a simple recipe. Leave them whole, put a stick in em, roast over open fire until they pop.Eat right off the stick.No kidding, I witnessed this myself.Good luck...