Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fyrewil

223 Ammo dilema

10 posts in this topic

Have a lil dilema.... (Too many choices) :smiley-outta-here: Which in you opinion is the better round for the same price. Shooting Bushmaster PredatorFederal 5.56 55gr FMJAmerican Eagle 223 55gr FMJSpeer Lawman Military 5.56 55gr FMJSpeer Lawman Military 5.56 62gr FMJThank you in advance for your opinion, and if you dont mind stating whyFyrewil

May we ask what your intended purpose of the rounds would be? None of them are much good at punching paper and you can't hunt with FMJ rounds.

May we ask what your intended purpose of the rounds would be? None of them are much good at punching paper and you can't hunt with FMJ rounds.
NV Shooting

You are just going to wound or cripple any animal you shoot with a FMJ bullet. I honestly couldn't in good faith recommend any of that ammo when there are so many other good choices.

You are just going to wound or cripple any animal you shoot with a FMJ bullet. I honestly couldn't in good faith recommend any of that ammo when there are so many other good choices.
PM sent

+1 to this John. If you're going to shoot an animal its your responsibility to do it in a way that its going to die immediately or close to it. Even with the ammo I use (ballistic tip, hollow point, etc.) if I hit a squirrel and see it flopping around I don't have a problem with a follow up to finish the job. FMJ's might work some of the time but I can remeber shooting a Jack Rabbit a few years ago with an FMJ and it passed clean through the rear and it ran (not fast) away. That aint right. A vmax or hollow point would have expanded and probably kept it there for a follow up if not killing it immediately.

Stay away from the FMJ for any type of hunting. Also barrel twist rate makes a huge difference......A little more info will help.