Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nitis

Lightweight Pistol

32 posts in this topic

I want to get some sort of lightweight inexpensive pistol to carry with me while calling. I have a nice MP 45 but its kinda heavy and bulky on the hip. I really wanted a KELTEC in 380 or 9mm but they are not rostered here in this wonderful place we call home.Any suggestions I am really leaning towrds a 9mm but not closed off to anything but I want lightweight as I am content with a glock 26 if need be I can buy it for a good price but I dont want to spend quite that much if I dont have to and I would like something a little lighter. I can get the 26 for 499 I would like to be around 300-350Revolvers are not out of the question either.

I carry a KelTec 380 and I love it. But it is very underpowered. Its better than nothing and I always have it. I would look at a SW AirLite .357 or a Khar polymer 9mm or .40SW

If your looking for a revolver, the AirLite is an excellent way to go. The bullets weighed more than the dang pistol I shot. Great for carry.If you looking for an auto, I can highly recommend the Glock 27. My best friend and hunting partner carries his every day (CCW) at work and off. He has fallen in love with it. I am not a big auto fan, in fact his is the only Glock I've ever fired, But I was actually pleasantly impressed. Amazingly straight shooting, especially for such a short sight radius/barrel.

I probably wont get a 40 since I have a 45 What kind of loopwholes do you have to jump through to get a KELTEC? I know that LEOs can buy them and then sell them is that basically how it works?

I think its an LEO only deal. They don't get alot of respect though. I have no problems with mine. I also have the Glock 27, and its great, but harder to conceal because of the double stack mag. Another consideration would be the SW Chief Special autos. They come in 9, 40 & 45. Single stack mag is pretty slim.

I've got a Ruger LCR that rivals the S&W AirLites. It's .38 +P. Very light, very small, and plenty of punch. Or, I'm really liking my subcompact XD .40 for carry, and it's another great round when you get the correct bullets. But, you still can't beat .45. It's my favorite caliber - and I would recommend a smaller/lighter .45 for carry.

You could get a SW 442 in 38 special it can handle +p loads and is a fun little gun to shoot if your looking for a revolver.

Calguns have several nice ones for sale. I just picked these because they are close to you. Probably could do a FTF.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=242155http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238206http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=241112

My new Kimber Ultra Covert Carry in .45 is very nice and light.. Small and easy to conceal. But I would have to agree with Jeff, the Airlite is by far the lightest gun to carry! I have one and every time I take it out of the safe to finger I'm amazed by it. I have never shot it but I have carried it. I would rather carry something with 7-8 rounds than 5 rounds. The subcompact glocks are very nice as well. I have a sub compact 10mm glock but the Kimber is slimmer, making it more comfortable, concealable and lighter to carry

C'mon Rick, just pack your new Taurus !!!!!

I CCW with the S&W 442 in 38 +P. It is so light that I forget I am carrying most of the time. A buddy CCWs with the Airlite in .357. It is a little larger but you get the added punch of the .357. I shaved a little more weight off the 442 by replacing the stock grips with a set of Hogue Bantam Grips.For calling though, I take my 1911 in 45 ACP. Sure it's heavy but I'm sitting most of the time anyway. Plus it's a 45 and it feels good knowing it's there. I would love to CCW with it but it just isn't practical for concealed carry. But CCW and backup while hunting are two different animals. I don't feel comfortable carrying a wonder 9 or 9mm Browning (aka 380 auto) while hunting after having a wild hog come after me and a bobcat almost jump in my lap. I want something larger in the field and because I don't have to conceal it, I can carry a larger calliber.

For a carry revolver I prefer a hammerless one. You can carry in your front pocket or in a jacket pocket and it won't hang up when withdrawing it like the hammer model will. Now if you are always going to be carrying it in a holster it makes no difference.

The Taurus Ultralight is a hammer model I do believe.

I must have been mistaken or basspro had them mis marked I though I was looking at one hamerless ultralite yesterday. I can go either way it will come down to what I can get the best deal on

I have a hammerless ultralight, but I've never considered my P220 to be heavy, so that's my preferred carry gun. Can't beat the good ol .45 also...

I am leaning towrds a taurus ultralite 85 as of now for the price its tough to beat
+1 on that too. I normally carry a Sig P220 Carry, but times I want somethin a little less, I'm even looking at the new Taurus 856 6-shot, which, for me, would be better for quarterly qualifying.

I carry a Kahr PM9 and I love it. But, it doesn't fit your inexpensive requirement. :roflmao3[1]:

It all depends on the issuing department where you live. Some towns are just easier to get and some are impossible.