bzzrd feedr

New improved mini 14

56 posts in this topic

Was reading my new Varmint Hunter Mag. and a really interesting article about the redesigned Mini 14. The writer who tested and hunted with it says sub moa with factory loads. I haven't seen one or do I know if you can buy one here in Cally but I'm definitely going to check one out. This is probably old news but I hadn't seen anything about it.

I have a Mini 14 already....If they are going to ban it, I'm buying 5 before they are banned! :lol:I'm wondering what's going to happen in the next couple of months.....A reworked Mini 14 would be a welcomed toy in the safe though. ;)

A lot of CA gun owners have passed on the Mini-14 because of it's reputation for being inaccurate. I've wondered for a long time why Ruger hadn't re-worked the design to make it a more desireable rifle. New barrel, upgraded gas system, etc. They could potentially capture a HUGE portion of the CA wanna-be assult rifle market if they did. Looks like they have improved on the design a bit, time will tell. If they have, I might buy one, and so might a lot of other folks.

Personally I Love the Mini :P Mine is accurate and has never had a FTF or FTE, it is 100% reliable.Oop's I lie, it had one hick-up due to a bad mag from an aftermarket supplier, "It was brand new" :D I don't use that brand anymore.As far as the new Mini, from what I have read and I checked them out at the Local store, The only thing different is the sight's. They only made new tooling for an old design.Sure wish they made the barrel OD bigger to stiffen it up, but they didn't :D

A factory mini that moa... I'd like to see that. After a fair amount of work to mine, I found a handload that will do 2moa. They suffer horribly from barrel harmonics, too thin walled. Factory PMC loads are somewhere in the 4+ range. Out of the box it was 8 or so. It sat in the corner for many years. If they would rebarrel my action with a newer barrel I'd do it in a heartbeat. Visit the forums at PerfectUnion.com for accurizing tips and talk. It's a great walking varminter and a practical rifle. I can't ever recall a type 2 or 3 malfunction in the 20 years I've had it. Matter of fact I'm taking it this weekend to the desert for jacks.

I wish the postman would get my new Varmint Hunter Magazine to my house so I could read it. :D

There is a wed site that sells custom mini 14 barrels that improves accuracy . www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/testimonials.html

There is a wed site that sells custom mini 14 barrels that improves accuracy . www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/testimonials.html
Yes, Accuracy Systems, there's a couple others too, some down in TX as well IIRC. I could buy a nice gun and scope for the price of one of their barrels that will do <= moa. It's neat to see that they'll change the caliber if you want. I'm not done load testing with it but for now 2 moa is just fine I can hit torso size steel at 400m with it so that's good for me :D

I still debate on sending my Mini in for a new barrel/gas system. I love my Mini. Feed it whatever you want and it shoots, shoots and keeps shooting without a problem. Plus its even easier to field strip than a 10/22!

I may have killed a few animals to my right because it spit shells violently, heck I should have checked the fps of them shells :D
Yeah, That was probably you at the range I was standing next to and got showered with brass by. :P I've done that to people on purpose, I mean by mistake too. :D:P

Your lucky your Mini just showers your neighbors :lol:My SKS ejects directly up. Hits the cover/roof. Right back down onto my head....

This mini needs a smaller gas port. The shells land 20 plus yards away :lol: When I go to the range I use a net to catch the brass.
Hehehe, yea they are brass beltchers. I went with a middle of the 3 smaller ports on mine. Very noticable difference. They now shoot about 8' at about a 45 deg. angle forward out of the ejection port. Also helped down range POI too. I think I might try the smallest just to see. I was worried about reliability issues but I think the rounds I'm using / loading are hot enough to prevent type 2's.

Your lucky your Mini just showers your neighbors :lol:My SKS ejects directly up. Hits the cover/roof. Right back down onto my head....
My old 1911 use to spit them straight up and land on top of my hat :lol: I use the smallest bushing and my brass lands within 5' of me at 4 O'clock :P

If you look inside the Magazine on pg. 49 there is a good article on the New Ranch Rifle The Mini 14 gets a facelift by LP Brezny.

Thanks Dale, I just got my magazine in the mail today. I always get mine much later than most people. If it wasn't sealed in the plastic wrapper I'd swear my mailman was reading it first. ;)

So what's the article say? I don't get that magazine.
I'll read through it and post some information. ;)

Thank you again Father John. Ben you should subscribe to VHA it is probably my favorite mag. The test said the gun really likes heavy bullets with sub 1" groups from a variety of ammo using 68-69 gr loads. The barrel is a new design and has a 1-9 twist, the reciever is a new precision cast and cnc machined to much finer tolerances, some design changes have been made but they didn't elaborate on what those design changes were. The reliabilty of the mini was never the problem and if they have improved the accuracy like they are talking it is a darn handy ranch/pickup gun possibility. I know the one I had way back when scared the dog pooh out of alot of yotes and made them alot smarter but didn't kill many.

Well I read the article and it's a long one surprisingly. But I wish they get somebody that knows real shooting to do these. To sum it up they're reworked the gun and it has a better barrel with a 1 in 9 twist if I read that right. When the guy first shot it it shot under a MOA. Then he goes on with his story and it starts shooting like crap. Then read and read some more and we find out the scope had loosened up almost falling off. He thinks it could use some locktite on the threads, do you think? Ruger sent along some Remington 69gr Sierra MatchKing BTHP and some 68gr Blackhills target ammo. They posted all of the groups even though he mentioned the scope worked loose. ;) But when he has it setup right it shoot the Remington match stuff at .617". Plus the put a Leupold FX-III 6X42 scope on it. That wouldn't be my choice of a scope to check a guns accuracy. But as a whole the new gun is much better than the old Ruger Mini-shotgun 14. He mentioned it shot about 500% better than it's predecessor. And gone are the days of the coffee can lid sized groups. Now he says you have the best of both worlds in that the new Mini-14 is dependable and also accurate. I may have to buy a new one to play with after all it's light and can spit them out pretty accurately now too. It won't out shoot my AR but it's lighter. ;)