Cranky Farmer

Rifle rests ... what do you use?

5 posts in this topic

What rifle rests do you folks use to test your loads? I've got a MTM plastic one that I use with a bag. It isn't great, but it works well for what I paid for it.

My favorite rest is the Caldwell Rock BR Competition front shooting rest. Here's a picture of my Savage .17HMR sitting on it.DSC_0006.jpgIt very adjustable to really dial in your gun. There's no forcing to get the scope lined up just perfectly every time. Just turn a knob and the cross hairs slide into place. I have other rifle and pistol rests but for really finding out what a gun or load can do I pull this rest out.Here's another of my assortment of rests.DSCN0439.jpg

It takes you an hour to load your stuff into the truck on those days you go to the range!! :) Those Caldwell's are NICE. I just dont use one often enough to justify their expense. Maybe if I didn't have to drive an hour to get to a gun range ....

How about one of these and Caldwell sells a new one like this Browning I have.DSC_0008.jpgI got the Browning for free but it is a great rest that really holds your gun and it great as a field rest for shooting ground rats. ;)Here's the rest I was speaking of from Caldwell called a Tack Driver.http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=264776Other companies like BullsBag for one is a great rest but more money.