Hylander

Help me Deside

46 posts in this topic

Well I have narrowed it down to a couple of choicesAll .223 of coarse ;) Purpose = Yotes and squirrels, Mostley Yotes.Prefer it to be light enough for carrying around hecks half acre.Must shoot well under MOA, by that I mean .75 or better.I would like to spend as little as possible but want under MOAChoices: In no paticular order.This one is 1:9 twist and runs about $800.00 http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=131:12 twist $700.00http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=141:12 twist, $529.00 in SS or $450.00 Bluedhttp://www.remington.com/products/firearms...S_Stainless.asp1:12 twist, $850.00http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...del_700_VSF.asp

Can't go wrong with the REM. 700 VSF nice rifle. But it is one of the more spendy than the rest but you get what you pay for.My vote REM. 700 VSF.

If I were you.... (which I was not too long ago) I would be looking into a 22" pencil barrel in the Remington SPS line or the Savage 110. They are both shooters, will cost less then the ones above, and you'll have more money for optics!
Hey Steve:So you got the light barrel Savage correct ?How does it group ?I'm kinda leaning toward the SPS SS, that will save me $300.00and I already have an Elite 4-16 waiting to be mounted on something.So I could use the extra for reloading supplie's and one of those fancy swivel bipod's ;)

Come on just pick one. You know you're just going to turn around and sell it in a month anyway. ;)

Come on just pick one. You know you're just going to turn around and sell it in a month anyway. :P
Welll that was no help ;) I think you hurt my feelings :( I think I need counsuling ;) What I really want is a SS 700 with the HS stock and 24" midweight fluted barrel.But they don't that one :P That is another reason I'm thinking the less expensive SPS as later I can rebarrel and restock it.

Welll that was no help :P I think you hurt my feelings :P I think I need counsuling :(
Sorry, but you know I'm telling the truth. ;) Buy the gun you want. Why buy the cheap Remington and then try and reinvent the wheel by having to re-barrel and change it. Some times the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. Remember the NEF? ;)

Some times the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. Remember the NEF?
Talk about pouring salt in an open wound :P I'm still considering the VSF but I just don't another heavy rifle, and I can't cut the barrel down without hitting the fluting :( SO I'm also considering the CZ with the Kevlar stock as it is lighter and 1:9 twist.But that will push $900.00 as it does not come with rings and it only uses CZ rings and they are another $50.00 ;) They know you have to have their rings but don't include them ;)

Plus I don't like the clip hanging out of the bottom of CZ rifles either. ;) Buy the cheap Rem and put a pencil barrel Pac-Nor barrel on it. Then you can have it as short as you want it.

Look at the Remington 700 LTR, it has a 20 in barrel, 1-9 twist. Probably my next gun.

Just out of curiousity, why aren't you considering a Savage?
Been there Done that, it was a great rifleJust want something different ;) And something lighter

Went the same direction you are going. I do alot of hiking and wanted a lighter 223. I went with a Browning A bolt Varmint Stalker. It weighs 7.8lbs. With bipod and scope still around 10lbs. A friend of mine has a Rem 700 ltr (Light tactical rifle) and wieghs about the same. The Browning was about $200 less and had a 1-12 twist. The 700 ltr has a 1-9 twist.

Almost bought the CZ Kevlar Varmint today $700.00 :( It was all I could do to walk out the without it ;) They also had a Rem. 700 VS for $720.00 but that thing is heavy, of coarse I could cut the barrel down 2" and have it fluted.Somebody Help Me, PLEASE :P

A friend of mine has a Rem 700 ltr (Light tactical rifle) and wieghs about the same. The 700 ltr has a 1-9 twist.
That 700 LTR is from their military division and not supposed to be available to the public.http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/700ltr.htmIt's just an all black version of my 700 VSF. ;)

It's just an all black version of my 700 VSF
Hey maybe you should sell me that cheap since you don't shoot it.I know you don't shoot it cause your Savage gets all your attention

Hylander,Have you considered a Contender? The price is right at around $500.00. You can get it in .223 with a 23" barrel. Its short and light. I shoot a 50g. Hornady SPXP and as of late have not had a passthrough on coyotes. This load shoots sub OA as long as I do my part. It's a great walking gun.Steve

Hey maybe you should sell me that cheap since you don't shoot it.I know you don't shoot it cause your Savage gets all your attention
Me sell a gun! :blink: You've got to be kidding! :lol::o:o

Hylander,Have you considered a Contender? The price is right at around $500.00. You can get it in .223 with a 23" barrel. Its short and light. I shoot a 50g. Hornady SPXP and as of late have not had a passthrough on coyotes. This load shoots sub OA as long as I do my part. It's a great walking gun.Steve
I have been considering an Encore with 24" barrel.I had a Contedender and liked it, don't really know why I sold it :blink: Handled an Encore the other day and it felt really good.But know I'm wondering if I should save for the 700 VS SF But I think it will be about $900.00 :lol: and it is still heavy.

That 700 LTR is from their military division and not supposed to be available to the public.http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/700ltr.htmIt's just an all black version of my 700 VSF. :blink:
My local gunshop in Orange County has 2 LTR's and there is always a few on gunbroker.com. The LTR has a 20 inch barrel (1.5lbs lighter) and comes with a 1 in 9 twist. The VSF has a 26 inch barrel and a 1 in 12 twist. The origional intent of the LTR was for military and police but they are now available to the public

My local gunshop in Orange County has 2 LTR's and there is always a few on gunbroker.com. The LTR has a 20 inch barrel (1.5lbs lighter) and comes with a 1 in 9 twist. The VSF has a 26 inch barrel and a 1 in 12 twist. The origional intent of the LTR was for military and police but they are now available to the public
I knew the barrel is longer on my VSF and that the twist was 1 in 12 on it too. But I only posted what I read from Remington. I guess they can't sell enough to the military to make it worthwhile.

What about a used ADL?I love my 30-06.
Nope:It doesn't have a floor plate and later I would want a differant stock that had the floor plate.I found a new VS today for $720.00Blued no flutingAlso an Encore in SS for $675.00