Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stiff Neck

What's a good 4lb line?

5 posts in this topic

What's a good 4lb mono line for my ultra-lite rig? Seems all of the "good" stuff out there is 0.008" diameter. A few years ago you could find 0.006" but not anymore. I can't cast as far as I used to with ultra-lite gear. Whazzup? Maybe I should start shopping online instead of at Chinamart, but a lot of internet stores don't list the diameter.

Just stay away from the fluorocarbon lines they have zero knot strength and if nicked break easily.

Stiff Neck you look for a good line or just the smaller diameter?

I used to like the gray box Berkley Triline 4lb mono because it was .06" diameter and I can cast size 0 and 00 Mepps spinners really far with it. The last few years I've been using 4lb Triline XL ultra limp .08" diameter because that's the thinnest I can find at stores. It casts ok but not as well as thinner line. With this thicker line, my casting distance is reduced by about 1/3 I'd guess.I don't care what brand I use, I just want to be able to cast really far like I used to be able to with the good ol' stuff. I do most of my fishing in small high sierra lakes for golden and brook trout, and some bass and panfish at lower elevations but still up above 5000 ft. For me, the ability to cast small lures and worms very far is crucial. I use mostly ultra small spinners and unweighted 2" worms, or a casting bubble with size 18 dry flies on 2 lb leader.

I use the regular old stren but have no clue as to dia. Sorry I couldn't help. But I do need to go fishing ya'll are making me jealous just talking about it.