jawbreaker

New to me jeep

121 posts in this topic

Your Jeep looks great. I am assuming you have a 6-cylinder engine in yours too. I love my old Jeep and it does go through just about everything...without even using the 4-wheel drive. I think their light weight and balance really helps them cruise through the back country.As far as camo painting is concerned, I have never had any bad feedback or bad experiences with my rig. Actually, everybody seems to love it. I get loads of thumbs-up on the freeway and ladies comment all the time about how they like it. I also find that people don't bug me in traffic or do stupid things in front of me. Perhaps the camo intimidates some too. Anyway, it's worked out very well for me and the super dull Krylon camo colors work like a champ and last a very long time.

and ladies comment all the time about how they like it.
:wub: :roflmao3[1]:I couldn't pass that one up. :good:

Hi Red, your vehicle looks and performs great. I do not want to burst your bubble BUT the ladies at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine are transvestites. Red, they're guys dressed like women! Regardless, the vehicle looks great. Keep the photos coming. The other guy that wanted to put the rack on his vehicle, well, THAT rack goes IN your vehicle!

Shooter John: I am afraid those days are gone by the wayside :1019: LOLJim T: That's it for you. :1019: Here I thought those "ladies" liked my paint job and all they're out for is a cheap predator hunt. As the soup Nazi says, "NO HATCH FOR YOU!" LOL

Hi Red, your vehicle looks and performs great. I do not want to burst your bubble BUT the ladies at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine are transvestites. Red, they're guys dressed like women! Regardless, the vehicle looks great. Keep the photos coming. The other guy that wanted to put the rack on his vehicle, well, THAT rack goes IN your vehicle!
I would have that rack in or on my jeep no matter as long as I have it!

Lookin good Ron. What wheels did you get?? I have contemplated getting steel black rims for mine as well.

Lookin good Ron. What wheels did you get?? I have contemplated getting steel black rims for mine as well.
I will have to look at the paperwork but I think they are cragers nd they are 15"x7-1/2". The cheap steels are great because you can beat the dog poop out of them and they hold up. I dented up my stock rims pretty good in the short time I've had it.

Nice thing about steel rims other than being inexpensive, is that if you dent them on the trail, you just have to lift that tire off the ground, air down the tire, beat out the dent with a ball peen hammer, then air the tire back up and off you go. Done this several times with mine. Gotta love the black rims Ron!

I went off roading with my brother and Scott today and got a little muddy but had some good times and even saw a coyote on the way home. Here we took a picture while checking our aproach anglepost-3-1267939069.jpgHere is a spot we stopped to check the scenerypost-3-1267939074.jpgAnd here's the coyote we sawpost-3-1267939078.jpg2 of us had CBs and I have never used these before, it is kind of nice being able to comunicate while on the trail. Thanks for looking, Ron

Ron, best thing about CB's in offroading is that it's used as a safety feature. You can communicate trail problems or call for help (within a certain range) or use it just to stretch the jaw. The other thing I like about them is that most offroaders have gone to VHF radios (some call them offroad radios others- ham radios) which is good for the CB users as it frees up channels. My hunting partners use them frequently out in the desert as we can tell each other who got what or where they saw whatever. Always good to stay in touch with your buds.

I haven't done much to the XJ in a while but bent up this tubing on a buddy's bender and welded it on this weekend. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to keep the flood type light on it or not but I don't go fast off road and think they will work good for when I hunt at night.jeep5-22-10006.jpgjeep5-22-10004.jpg

Ron, that looks nice man! I haven't done a whole lot with my jeep lately but did get some light off roading in with the wife and dog for Mother's day.

Jawbreaker, did you make the bumber? It looks sweet. If you did, can you tell me the materials you used?

Looks good. XJs are about the best bang for the buck going. Shouldn't need to worry about brakes. Get the vibes outta the back?

Ron just remember, the heavier the rack the less weight you'll be able to carry in it safely. Plus, if you lift your Jeep and put the larger tires on it, you don't want it to be top heavy while offroading. Oh yeah, here's a photo of mine blending into the local surroundings...post-1942-1254279110_thumb.jpgHa, ha.... The coyotes don't even notice my Jeep or me on top of that platform.
You can hunt there? Sorry for the hijack.

Nice Job Ron,We need to meet up.post-3-1274746208.jpg

Jawbreaker, did you make the bumber? It looks sweet. If you did, can you tell me the materials you used?
I didn't make it, I was going to but found this one for 300 bucks shipped and the materials for the one I was going to make would have been about $180 plus all of my time. If you want to make one all you need is 3/16" flat stock and some 1/4" and a lot of cutting and welding, I'll find some pictures of the last bumper I built when I find them. Mark, Let's go. I'm always up for some fun in the dirt.

Thanks for the info. I like the looks of that bumper.

Hey Ron, you ever been up to Corral Canyon Offroad park? That's where I took the wife and some of the other guys and their wives on Mothers Day! We had a barbeque and all then most of them lost it on the trail back to the parking area!

Here's a few pictures of the last bumper I made, it's not on a jeep but on his tacoma and it's a rear bumper but the process is the same for a front or rear bumper.IMG_0005.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0006.jpg I built the rack for him also, he needed to be able to lock up his gear on a surfing/diving trip dpwn to Costa Rica

Hey Ron, you ever been up to Corral Canyon Offroad park? That's where I took the wife and some of the other guys and their wives on Mothers Day! We had a barbeque and all then most of them lost it on the trail back to the parking area!
Went there a few weeks ago with a jeep club. We did the black dimond trail it was very difficult.post-3-1274763989.jpg