ShooterJohn

Felony powder amounts in California...

34 posts in this topic

Over 20 Pounds Of Smokeless Gunpowder Or More Than One Pound Of Black Powder. Even if intended for use in sporting firearms, California provides felony penalties for possessing more than the stated amounts of gunpowder without special permits.

California Health and Safety Code Section 12101-12112

12102.  This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of blacksporting powder, provided that:   (a) Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of smallarms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.   (B) Black sporting powder is intended for loading of small arms orsmall arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.   (c) All such powder is for private use and not for resale, and, inthe case of black sporting powder, there shall be no gift, delivery,or other disposition to another person.   (d) The storage, use and handling of such smokeless and blackpowder conforms to rules, regulations, or ordinances of authoritieshaving jurisdiction for fire prevention and suppression in the areaof such storage, use, and handling of such explosives.

What about if it is loaded up into cartridges? Are they trying to make our ammo stockpiles illegal?Is over one pound of black powder substitute such as Pyrodex illegal?

John, can you post the link? I would sure love to read that one. Thanks.

Good catch, John. I did some searching but found no reference to this on the California Dept. of Justice's Firearms Division website. But here's the law -- California Health and Safety Code starting with Section 12101. Section 12102 describes the 20 pounds/1 pound exception. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displayc...ile=12101-12112Also, the California Vehicle Code imposes designation requirements if transporting more than 20 pounds of smokeless powder or 5 pounds of black powder in a vehicle:http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27903.htm

It's to bad they don't list the specific code for that. It would be interesting to see if there has ever been any prosecutions or case law regarding possesion of more than 20lbs of smokeless powder. My experience is you don't want to be on the recieving end of a prosecution for most gunlaw violations. Especially if you live in major urban jurisdictions. DAs and younger LEOs tend to overreact. And most mistakes made by citizens are not contested. Until that is they realize that they could be looking it a prison sentance. It's usually to late by then because voluntary statements have been made and the citizen has usually hung themselves.

Here is the specific code under the CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODESECTION 12101-12112 12102. This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of blacksporting powder, provided that: ( a ) Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of smallarms ammunition of .75 caliber or less. ( b ) Black sporting powder is intended for loading of small arms orsmall arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less. ( c ) All such powder is for private use and not for resale, and, inthe case of black sporting powder, there shall be no gift, delivery,or other disposition to another person. ( d ) The storage, use and handling of such smokeless and blackpowder conforms to rules, regulations, or ordinances of authoritieshaving jurisdiction for fire prevention and suppression in the areaof such storage, use, and handling of such explosives.

My guns stores sell 1 lb cans of black powder and if you are shooting ancient guns beffore caps you need two powders. I wonder what their answer is o that?

Well with the state being broke and prisons being full perhaps we might all get released early anyway! LOL!

I wonder what their answer is to that?
The politicians are very concerned about you and your gunpowder, they lose sleep every night worrying about infringing upon your rights.

As a service to all of the people on this board I will be glad to come and get or have you ship to me all the smokless or black powder you have over the limit for proper disposal. I would not want any of you to loose sleep or go to prison over this and out of the kindness of my heart will help out dispose of all extra powder. :rolleyes: Please just contact me for shipping instructions if I am unable to come and get it.You may also dispose of any brass/bullets/primers that might cause the LE to come after you. I am just trying to do my part in keeping you all legal and safe. I do not even charge for this service. :drinks:

Looks like I have about 10 pounds of powder to reload to get into "compliance". Time to get to the range to dis-assemble some bullets to free up some brass for reloading. Hope there are not similar restrictions on primers

I am in real trouble if they count the amount that is in loaded ammo also. :horse apples:

I have all of my illegal gun powder hidden under some Playboy magazines in the bottom of my liquor cabinet. Nobody will ever find it there as long as I keep it a secret. :horse apples:

The only thing this prevents is house fires that are insane! Other than that you could probably get exempt if you had a real storage facility on your home site. I burned over 2 pounds of powder before and let me tell you its a damn Jet engine, scared the dog poop out of me.

Just go to your local reloading store and ask how they got theirs. I'm sure my local store has over 20 lbs of smokeless powder on the shelves right now.

I read the code sections preceding 12102. Section 12101 starts with "No person shall do any of the following.. receive, store or possess explosives." I wonder if 20 lbs is the limit per person. If so, I'll have to make sure my wife is also in compliance, if you know what I mean.

Just go to your local reloading store and ask how they got theirs. I'm sure my local store has over 20 lbs of smokeless powder on the shelves right now.
I'm pretty sure the stores have the special permits required by law. :smiley_turkey_gobble: