Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CoyoteHuntress

Lightening hits fisherman... OMG

21 posts in this topic

post-768-1253742557_thumb.jpgpost-768-1253742564_thumb.jpg Saw this on another forum... Happened in Lake Charles.. No clue where that is.. BUt THIS is why you do NOT fish when its lightening out...

Nope. He died, here's the summary:Monday, Sep 7, 2009 @12:42pm CDTThe Labor Day weekend turned tragic for a Lake Charles man. Joseph Landry and Richard Bergeron were fishing on Old Black Bayou near Lake Charles Saturday. That's when lightning struck their boat. The lightning strike injured Bergeron, but killed the 44-year-old Landry. Bergeron has been treated and released from the hospital.

That is so awful. It's a good thing I don't fish in the rain. Believe it or not, that's the first time I've heard of anything like that.

Fishing in the rain is just fine, just don't fish in a thunderstorm. I would say less than 10% of rain storms in the central valley area are thunder storms.

I don't think my fiberglass rods act like lightning rods..........
Yeah they do...just not as conductive as your graphiters. A high point is a high point...the guides will get so hot they melt the fiberglass.

Yeah they do...just not as conductive as your graphiters. A high point is a high point...the guides will get so hot they melt the fiberglass.
When did Tesla join the group??

Lake Charles, Louisiana. I built a power plant there in 1997 or so.

Has anyone here seen lightning strike the water of a lake? It is AMAZING to watch. I definitely would not want to be in a metal boat on the water... Poor guy.

Looks like a Scudd Missile or a rocket launcher weapon hit that vessel......... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Isn't there some sort of lightning rod antennas you could attach to a vessel to avoid this sort of event?

Wow that is terrible. I work as a electrician in the winter when I need extra money and have been shocked quite a few times. I do not want to start an argument with any one but the worst I have ever been shocked is from static electricity from a PVC pipe on a suck vac. I have been shocked this way several times. It happens when we are useing it for a giant vacum cleaner cleaning out cracks on the flight line at Beale Air Force Base. It shocked me so bad one time last year my hands were numb and would not work for a while. It made me so mad I shut off the machine and broke that pipe all to he** last year. The guys were laughing at me untill I told them to run it. Then it was not so funny any more. It is a lot worse than 120 volts. We wear rubber gloves and boots now when we do that.