D-Man

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8

17 posts in this topic

Love my jeep for off roading. Only problem is that everytime I take it offroading I pick up debris in the main serpentine belt. Because of this, it keeps squeaking. The pulleys are good, and have had my mechanic look it over several times just to make sure. Any ideas on how to stop it from picking up debris? It has the standard front skid plate, and the protective plate over the transmission and that is it.Driving me nuts driving it around like this.Darren

Have you tried switching to a different brand of fan belt? There are several makers out that claim no noise belts.

Sure you don't have bigger problems? How do you know it's debris? I only ask because we hunt out of two Grand Cherokees and have had them to hell and back and have never had an issue with belts other than the typical pulley replacement when worn out.

I am guessing you have but I am going to ask anyway just in case. Have you put your rig in neutral and reved it up a bit to make sure the "squeek" is the belt? My Rubicon did something similar and it was in the drive train from the lift I had just installed not the belt. I thought it was until I started chasing it.

Yes, I am sure it is the belt. Can see the small debris embedded in the belt. My mechanic has changed the belt on this jeep a couple of times and always checked the pulley. Put it in neutral and done all the other tricks I know of. Usually happens when hitting muddy water with the jeep. Happy to try a different brand of belt if someone can recommend one.Darren

I can't get my head wrapped around why the belt would squeak because it has "debris" embedded in it but if it's so and you are looking for a good replacement, you might try the "Gatorback" belts that Autozone sells. It's about the only thing I trust them for.Good Luck

Small rocks and debris get embedded in the grooves of the serpentine belt, as the belt rotates and that debris gets smashed into the grooves and it hits the pulleys and the various accessories it creates a squeaking sound. Will give the Gatorback a try. Open to other suggestions.Darren

squealing = slipping , water and mud = lubricant is your mech. using a tenison gauge to measure for correct tension (few do) also have your belt driven accesories been checked for drag a dragging A/C comp. or power steering pump or any thing else that runs off that belt could cause a squeel when adding a little lube (water mud) if all that checks out I would go with a factory belt and make sure its has the proper tension. good luck Dave

Different belts have different grooves in them also. Some are continuous grooves, some broken grooves like tire treads. You may want to try one with a different type groove in it also. Good luck.

Goodyear makes a belt called a gatorback, it seems to stay quiet when all other belts don't. It has a different groove pattern than all the others. I would give it a try.

I used to take a bar of soap and rub it on my belts to keep them quite when I had hopped up motors. It always worked for a while. My motors used to rev faster than the fan and alternator and slip when I put my foot in it. It was the slipping that caused the squall. Soap would cure it for a while, and then I would just re soap it.

Should have gotten a Rubicon :good: So have you gone to an off road shop to see what they have?Should have gotten a Rubicon post-535-1253687570_thumb.jpg

Not an expert on this but an old gear head passed this on to me a long time ago and it stopped the squeal from the belts on my Blazer. Use a wire wheel or fine sand paper and take the glaze off the surface of all the pullies. Hope that helps you as it did me.