Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mac

Broadheads

54 posts in this topic

I purchased some 100gr broadheads a couple years back. Do you think these are adequate for Calif big game? Deer, hog and bear? Thanks --- apologize in advance if this is a question that's already been posted and answered.

Choosing a 100, 125 or 175 grain broadhead is more to do with bow draw weight and total arrow weight to achieve a tuned system. A 100 grain broadhead is just as deadly as a 125. If you are shooting 100 grain field points, you would be better off using the same weight broadhead - a tuned system will shoot them in the same spot

Thanks. My draw weight is 50lbs...it has been a few years since I purchased my PSE, plus acknowledged my arrow weights...I should probably go back to the archery store and have everything netted out again. I do believe that my field tips are also 100gr as well. Everything seems to be in tune.

I use 100's on boar bear and deer and havent failed yet... Well maybe not true, but they do work, very well within 50-70 yard shot

Baja Traveler is correct in looking at your bows draw weight and arrow weight but I would also look at your draw length and what kind of arrow speeds you want from your bow. If you are shooting an arrow that is shorter than say 26", the spine might be too stiff for your bow. Since you mentioned that your draw weight is 50lbs, you should ask for a pro shops opinion on what you should be shooting. I've had female friends that have 50-55lb draw weights with a 26.5" draw length and they shoot light carbon arrows (PSE 100's) with Muzzy 75gr broadheads and shoot anything from 100lb hogs to California's small blacktail deer. See a pro to get back in tune....my :good: .

Dang Fakawee, you calling me a girl?!? LOL. 50+ draw weight....started there because I've never shot a bow. Since I've purchased it I've been to a range several times and out hunting once with it. Also my draw length is fairly shirt as I'm about 5'8"....and my arrow lengths (have to measure) are short. Anyways, going back to the pro shop...thanks everyone!

Dang Fakawee, you calling me a girl?!? LOL. 50+ draw weight....started there because I've never shot a bow. Since I've purchased it I've been to a range several times and out hunting once with it. Also my draw length is fairly shirt as I'm about 5'8"....and my arrow lengths (have to measure) are short. Anyways, going back to the pro shop...thanks everyone!

mac, I wasn't implying that you were a girl, lol!!! I've introduced several people to archery in the past and most settled on 50-55lbs. Most people that haven't shot in a long time or are new to archery should actually start out with a bow no stronger than 40lbs to let the muscles get acquainted with the drawing motion. A lighter draw weight also helps promote better form and lessens joint damage later down the years. So no mac, I wasn't calling you a girl. :two-cents:

I shoot 100 grain broad heads and they have done the trick. I shoot I think 55 pounds or so draw weight with a 29 inch arrow. I have grown to liking the Magnus Stinger 2 blades they have great penetration.

If you're gonna use 100 grs. make sure your arrow is balanced and spined correctly to your bow weight. If your arrow spine weight is off it won't matter what your broad-heads weight.

Last year I was 14 and shooting 50#'s @ 25" and I had a clean kill on a hog at 21 yards with 100gr. fixed blade head. Now I'm shooting a 50# longbow with 26" arrows and a 125gr. G5 Montec broadhead. Find what works with your particular bow/arrow combination and stick with it.

mac, I wasn't implying that you were a girl, lol!!! I've introduced several people to archery in the past and most settled on 50-55lbs. Most people that haven't shot in a long time or are new to archery should actually start out with a bow no stronger than 40lbs to let the muscles get acquainted with the drawing motion. A lighter draw weight also helps promote better form and lessens joint damage later down the years. So no mac, I wasn't calling you a girl. :smiley-outta-here:
I'd be curious to see what these "girls" look like that can pull that weight. Lik'em chunky huh? :eck05: El

I'd be curious to see what these "girls" look like that can pull that weight. Lik'em chunky huh? :eck05: El
I guess she's somewhat chunky. :smiley-outta-here:bowhunter.jpg

I guess she's somewhat chunky. :smiley_kewlpics:bowhunter.jpg
Oh, puhleezzeee! She doesn't shoot seriously! That's a photo opp. if I ever saw one! Man, please! And those are store bought, not the real thing! Man, what you guys fall for....she ain't nothin' but plastic!Eisshhhh!El :lame::signs165xk:

LMAO at "store bought"! El, you talking about the factory off the shelf bow and not being custom or something else? :signs165xk::smiley_kewlpics:

Trust me Mac, she didn't get those going through puberty like the rest of us! :D Most "real" women are like Coca Cola, the Real Thing!Ha! I don't think she could shoot anything within 5 yards of her. :archer-green::signlol2iu: El

Oh, puhleezzeee! She doesn't shoot seriously! That's a photo opp. if I ever saw one! Man, please! And those are store bought, not the real thing! Man, what you guys fall for....she ain't nothin' but plastic!Eisshhhh!El :signlol2iu::archer-green:
I beg to differ Elderberry she can too shoot! she put an arrow right thru my heart the moment I saw her picture............. :D

Dan, you'll be lucky if she could hit your heart! She might miss and hit ya between the eyes!You guys....such suckers for those fakies!"Man the torpedos!!" :archer-green: El