bobby7321

looking to get a .243. which rifle?

37 posts in this topic

thinking of picking up a .243.no one in the family has one, and i like the caliber.want it as a carry rifle. (coyotes, bobcats, other larger varmints/predators)any suggestions on make/models?I kinda liking the Kimber 84M Classic now. Just looking for input or suggestions.

Hmmmm, I have to carry all of my rifles... since no one else will... ok, sorry, couldn't resist...Anyway, there are LOTS of great brands and a lot really just depends on personal taste. What looks, feels and handles the best for you in other words. You should shop around & handle & compare as many as you can at the same time, preferablly in the same store. Go with your own feelings...CZ, Remington, Savage, Kimber are all very nice. Remington's trigger would probably have to be replaced or lightened up by someone that knows what they are doing.Stainless or blue barrel, shorter or longer barrels, wood or synthetic stock. And of course weight. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them, so whatever suits your needs the best. Just take your time. Have Fun & Good Luck in Your SearchFrank

Remington's trigger would probably have to be replaced or lightened up by someone that knows what they are doing.
Remington's 700 triggers haven't changed in 30 or forty years. Still the same three screws to adjust and procedures can be found on the web. If you get a jewell, you still have to adjust it. My Remington 700s all adjust down to around 2 lbs and break reasonably clean after nothing more than adjustment.A17Shooter

Thay all are good but price wise the savage stevens 200 about 300 bucks the same as my 25-06 lite and quick and it kills things. short action 243 wt. wise is 6 1/2 pounds thay arnt that bad to look at but thay do shoot straight. But you cant go wrong with the others .Go to the gun shop and play with as many types that are there. 243 is going to be my next gun . after the 223 in july , now im getting the hives thinking of the 223. :blink::blink:

yeah i own or have handled most of the brands mentioned. i like my CZ, I like winchester. even though my savage 204 shoots great, the action still feels janky. i like to have variety though, thats why i like to get new calibers as well as new makes/models. as far as looks i want a traditional look for this rifle, walnut / blued.

I'd look at the Tikka too. I was admiring one at the shop the other day, wood and sporter barrel and light. I think Tikka is part of Sako which is owned by Beretta. Decisions decisions.

I am a long time Remington fan. With all of the terrific things being said about the Accu-trigger and the out of the box accuracy from these rifles I am swayed to the Savage way of thinking.

decisions, decisions!ok well my FFL doesnt deal in Kimber. so that may make things a bit easier to decide.the local club gets us rifles at cost, so i like to stick with our ffl.anyways so today im looking at rem 700 cdl - $550, and then i start thinking how much i like my dads weatherby and see that they have a weatherby vanguard sporter in .243 for about $450.what you think? i think i might already know the answer. ;)

A17, you are correct in nothing new about Remington triggers & their 3 screws. I've owned a BUNCH of Remingtons since the '60's.My reason for mentioning Rem trigger is, 1) Some folks may not be aware of their hard triggers, especially beginners, 2) others do not trust themselves to adjust them, & 3) rather than adjusting OR having them adjusted some prefer to have them replaced giving the owner a better sense of safety.I (& several of my friends) happen to do the same as you, and simply adjust them down to approx 2lbs & have never had a problem... Bobby, I have not handled the CDL or Vanguard in quite awhile... I have owned 3 Weatherbys if memory serves me right and they performed just fine. However, I personally am not a fan of Weatherby. But that is just me. Again, personal taste is Huge. Also, another is the Browning A-bolt. They too are a very fine rifle. My oldest picked up one a few months back in a 270 wsm.All The BestFrank

thanks for all the input.think i've decided on the remington 700 cdl. classic gun, classic caliber. i like that idea.the weatherby is nice, but thinking maybe in a couple years grab a markV in 240 weatherby mag :)i'll report back once i receive the rifle and mount a scope on her.thanks!

think i've decided on the remington 700 cdl. classic gun, classic caliber. i like that idea.
I think you've made a good choice. It's a good gun manufacturer and the cartridge is a versatile one. You can load it to do what ever you need it to do from squirrels to deer with the right bullet. :lol:

A Ruger rifle at low cost....which one? :)
The one I bought going out of business sell..... :) okay i will say they are average priced then.

Sorry John-just never seen Ruger and low cost in the same sentance....
Ruger, low cost, accurate. Steve, you ever seen one of THOSE in the same sentance? (uh oh, here it comes...)

I've got a M77 that I bought in 1991. At the time they were about the only ones making a left handed rifle in 300 Win Mag. It has dropped a lot of deer since I've had it.

You'll notice I didnt brag about its accuracy... it does the job on bigger targets with a large kill zone. ;) It's the only Ruger I own.

Y-I-K-E-S, Steve, I see I have been a BAD influence on you. LOL (just kidding)Well, I have to admit that I personally am not a fan of Ruger, but believe they have improved their M77, bolt actions. Key word being "improved". The reason I say that is, a couple decades ago or there abouts, their barrels were not very good being made by another company that I cannot recall the name of.Since then, they have stopped using those barrels and if memory serves me right are making their own barrels?! In either case, the current barrels seem to be much better.With that said, I have owned a fair number of Rugers in different flavors over the years, & currently still own 2 Rugers, which work very Well... One, as a paint stirrer & the 2nd as a bumper jacket. Sorry, couldn't resist the last line... Frank p.s. my biggest gripe is the comb of their stocks are way too low, & have to "raise your head" to see properly through a scope. Of course having a "neck" would help. lol I also do not care for the looks of their grey barrels. But that is just me.