songdog

36grn VG or 53grn triple shock

16 posts in this topic

I had a lot of luck with the 53 gr TSX, 35 gr of Varget, Rem primers in a Tikka for 1/2 inch groups which is 1 in 14 but I heard others struggling to stabilize the longer round. I switched to 50gr Noslers which are BR accurate.

Sorry - I'm in Missouri so I don't even think about that. I'd slowly work up a load of the 53 gr TSXs and see of they stabilize in your gun.

I remember having a tough time finding load information on the TSXs. They definitely can be very accurate.

Getting ready to punch out 100 rounds in a 22-250 need a little help choosing a lethal dose for coyotesany help appreciated
The Barnes Reloading Manual Number 4 says for the 22-250 and the 53 gr TSX you need at least a 1:12" twist or faster to stabilize the bullet. I would much rather shoot a 50 to 55 gr lead free bullet than a 36 gr lead free bullet at coyotes. If a mouse breaks wind between the rifle and the coyote while shooting the 36 grainers no telling where the bullet will go. With the 22-250's and the barrel twists that they come in, it will be hard to get most of the lead free bullets in 50 gr or bigger to shoot good. Even the 50 gr Varmint Grenades in .224 cal say 1:10" twist or faster right on the box.

Wel, if you're shooting factory ammo I seriously doubt that the 53 gr will work in a 14" twist. They sure didn't in several 250's we tested. However, the 36 grainers worked well in both the 250(14"twist) & 223(12" twist).Another, is Federals 43gr TNT. It shot well in the 14", 250 and my 10" twist mini 14 / 223. The 36gr did not work well in my mini 14 however, so the twist seems important. The 43gr may be the best compromise of the 3. Maybe? Good Luck in your decision Frank

My dad couldn't get the 53gr TSX's to group out of his Tikka 22-250 1:14, tried a wide range of velocities but they would not stabilize. He's thinking about selling it now.

The 50 grain Barnes VGs will not stabilize in my 1:14" twist 22.250 but seem to be working in my 1:10" twist barrel.

Looks like IM sticking to the lead and outa the no lead zones it took me a while to find what I liked and shoot with confidence. Just a good excuse to get me over in Nevada to hunt