Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sagedog

D-9 opener

24 posts in this topic

So I found a spot where some trails converged into a nice big, well traveled deer trail along a creek bed, so I set up there. Watched that trail untill just about dark, saw a few does. I decided to creep my way back out to my truck. I'm walking along ninja-like :) and less than 50 yds from where I was set up, he peaks his head, neck and shoulders around a tree and stares at me :yikes[1]: . I freeze and stare back. He's not moving. Slowly I raise my range finder and range him at 15 yds. I lower the range finder and hook my release on the string. He's still not moving and it's almost dark so I draw my bow. He doesn't move, just keeps staring at me. All I can see is from his shoulders up, so I take careful aim, release my arrow :signlol2iu: while consentrating on holding through the shot and hit him right where I was aiming, in the neck! He dropped right there, no tracking, no trailing, nothing. Pic comming...

Yea, ya got me. I was looking for that buck picture. :good:

I dont see no antlers on THAT!! Must be a doe...ROFLMAO You got me too.. I was thinking WHY would you range at 15 yards.. A deer is HUGE at 15 yards....

that's just mean sage I was looking for a buck. I to was wondering why a bow hunter couldn't range a target up to 15 yards by sight.you fooled me.

NICE!! You should send that to Rae!! It will go great in your trophy room. lol I too was like "15yds WTH!!!"

Squirrel McNuggets...wait...just to be clear that would be leg meat and not the other McNuggets

I didn't even get to eat him. I was a ways off from the truck, so I left him on that stump next to a road so I could drive by and pick him up on my way back to camp. I drove every fork I found on those roads and couldn't find that stump for the life of me. A bear or a hawk got a free dinner that evening.

That is the UGLYIST, longest tailed, short nosed dear, I have ever seen. Nice shooting. Stick with shooting Squeeks.... makes a great story. :roflmao3[1]::roflmao3[1]::doh[1]:

I was thinking :WTF_1: using a rangefinder at 15 yards? If this guy is is raising up a range finder on a deer at 15 yards he's been watching too many TV hunting shows. :roflmao3[1]:

Very, very funny...I was thinking "what dumb-ass would tell a high drama tale like that and NOT post pics? I would post 100 pics, I mean that is what this site is about right? This guy is NOT very good at posting brags..."Hook, line and sinker!! Good Job!!

What kind of bow are you shooting sage.I got out bet on ebay almost had a hoyt megneta for the right price.that was a nice shot on such a small target.

i thought squirrel didn't start till the 2nd saturday in september up here??

i thought squirrel didn't start till the 2nd saturday in september up here??
No it's archery season I made that mistake too at first.
§307. Tree Squirrels.Tree squirrels may be taken only as follows:( a ) General Season and Areas:The general season in the counties of Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Kings, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Modoc, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne, Yolo, Yuba, and that portion of Kern County lying east of Interstate 5 shall open on the second Saturday in September extending through the last Sunday in January.( B ) Archery and Falconry Tree Squirrel Season and Area: Tree squirrels may be taken with bow and arrow or raptors only during the general tree squirrel season and as follows:(1) The season in the counties of Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Modoc, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne, and Yuba; and that portion of Kern County lying east of Interstate 5 shall open on the first Saturday in August extending through the day before the general tree squirrel season.

Yup, archery season. Only reason I knew about it was because when I went up scouting 2 weeks before the deer opener, I camped next to some asian guys who were up there just for squirrels on opening day for archery. Checked the regs when I got home.Shoot-it, I'm shooting a Hoyt Powertec. 70# draw, Trophy Taker Pronghorn rest, Trophy Ridge 5 pin sight,Gold Tip XT hunter 75/95 shafts, Quickspin XT hunter vanes, Wasp Boss SST 4 blade 100gr broadheads. Chronographed at 287 fps.mybow.jpg