dirtgimp

feeding problem .....

28 posts in this topic

has anyone else had a feeding problem with their 1911 when they had corbon dpx or speer gold dot in the clip ?any help would be great thanks ..........

Nope. My revolver goes bang every time. :)

Dang, Braz beat me to it :signlol2iu: (from another revolver fan) :yikes[1]: Sorry, dirt, I seem to be getting worse with age... hope you find your answer soon.Good LuckFrank

Are these reloads or factory?In auto's it could be a few things. One thing I've seen alot of with hangups in 1911 45's is from holding it too loosely.

the overall length of the DPX round along with the wide open hollow point have been known to cause some feeding reliability issues. I had a kimber that would feed them maybe 90 % of the time but my sig in .45 was 100%

Thats a common problem with corbon ammo in almost all 45s. I sometimes had feeding issues with corbon JHP .230 grn in my sig p220 (slide has a hard time closing on the first round from the magazine) before I polished my feed ramp. Corbons have a very wide nose on the hollow points mostly because they use the speer gold dot in their ammo. I'm willing to bet the Barnes bullets in the DPX are wide hollow points with a thick heavy lip like speers. For SD load and where I can use lead ammo I prefer Buffalo bore ammo. About all you can do is Polish your feed ramp. Try a different weight bullet or switch to a hallow point that has a rounded nose or a polymer tip/ball. If its only the first round out of the magazine you may need to break in the spring better as well or use a magazine that has less pressure/tension on the first round ... or load one or 2 less bullets in your magazine.Another thing you can do is if your looking for a lead free hunting load is to load your own. If I'm not mistaken the bullets for .45 ACP .45 LC .454 Casull and .460 S&W Mag are all the same Diameter and as long as you don't exceed what your gun can feed and handle you should be able to come up with a good lead free round in 45acp.

If I'm not mistaken the bullets for .45 ACP .45 LC .454 Casull and .460 S&W Mag are all the same Diameter
The .45 acp uses a .452 bullet compared to .454 for the revolver cartridges. I don't know how much .002 would effect pressures but I'd be afraid to try it with an auto. There's just to many parts slingin' around at warp speed for me.

thanks for the great advice everyone.not fully on board with the reloading yet but workin hard to get there.i love the sd hollow points, but if i could find a good lead free slug that would be cool also ......

The .45 acp uses a .452 bullet compared to .454 for the revolver cartridges. I don't know how much .002 would effect pressures but I'd be afraid to try it with an auto. There's just to many parts slingin' around at warp speed for me.
Hey CD when I go to buy bullets most manufacturers list them as .451 for all the 45's or as .452 very few list them .451 and .452 (ie 45 acp as .451 and 45lc-.460S&W as .452) I have even seen a manufacturer list its bullet diameter for rubber bullets as .451-.452 So I don't think it makes that much difference. No one I buy bullets from list 230 grn or lighter bullets in pistol as .454 only .452 and .451. at larger then 230 grn Midway only has 1 454 (235grn lead fn) and 1 .455 (250grn lead RN) .45 bullet for diameter. When in doubt I would consult the reloading data for the cartridge caliber and bullet you reload and even then I would be careful I ran in some wierd problems with 7.62x54r requiring me to slug my barrel.

I thought all of these new fangled autos had polished ramps and were throated and so on. All of my autos are all 20+ years old but I've gone through them all and they'll feed an empty cases. So if that ammo isn't working for you send it to me it will feed and shoot in my guns. :roflmao3[1]:

thats what I heard Shooter John . That if your gun would not cycle empty , sized , cases , you will have problems . I belive that there are a few companies that still do the " Gurantee 2 mags of sized empties feeding " when they work on your 1911 . Andy

i just bought the pistol , well not to long ago that is.it's a rock island compact .45 acp . has anyone else had a problem with the rock islands ?

Could be the nut behind the trigger. ;) I kid. Nothing SUCKS worse than a new toy that won't cooperate...

I thought all of these new fangled autos had polished ramps and were throated and so on. All of my autos are all 20+ years old but I've gone through them all and they'll feed an empty cases. So if that ammo isn't working for you send it to me it will feed and shoot in my guns. ;)
John I have a Sig p220 ST Stainless ..... My ramp was blued so I had to polish it.

Try some Chip McCormick magazines, my stock kimbers were a dissapointment.

well i took my rock and had it polished and the smith also did ultra sonic cleaning when he got done .what a differance and oh ya i load one less in the mag too .so far so good . . . . . .