Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GnarlyDude

new gun?

8 posts in this topic

i want a 12 gauge pump action... can decide btween the mossberg 500, remington 870, or browning bps. any advice? im just guna be using it for upland birds and rabbits

Go to a range and try em all, make sure the one you BUY fits you properly and shoulders comfortably. The obvious choice will then be uhh, obvious.

The 870 is the best choice for reliability and simplicity. The only advantage the bps has is for left handed shooters, because it ejects out the bottom.

i want a 12 gauge pump action... can decide btween the mossberg 500, remington 870, or browning bps. any advice? im just guna be using it for upland birds and rabbits
I love my Mossberg 500, have the synthetic stock, weight is around 6 pounds, I also have the attached 5 round rack, its a quick way to change loads with out looking thru your pockets.TonyD

They're all good guns. The mossberg will be the lightest of the bunch due to its aluminum reciever. The BPS is a great gun but if you have short arms or if you grip the forearm a bit further back than most folks (like I do) your forward hand can cover the ejection port when the gun is trying to kick out an empty. The 870 is a great gun but remington has pumped out quite a few of the express models that had bad chambers which caused the empty shell to stick in the chamber. That problem has probably been fixed by now. Scince you're willing to pay the price of a BPS then skip past the remington Express and check out a Wingmaster, they're alot prettier.

870 Remington, tons of aftermarket stuff...you can make it into any gun you want for what ever hunt you want. tactical to turkey.....fun to shoot out to about 70 yards...hurts to shoot compared to my 1100....you only live once!