Elderberry

Can someone give me some advice on this particular bow?

50 posts in this topic

I've heard that model is deadly on hobbits ;)

Hahahahahahaha...you guys are funnnnnnny. Get yourself to an archery shop and pull on some 50, 60 & 70lb bows if you're serious about hunting pigs.

Sorry Elderberry, I was just being silly. I've never used a bow.

Thanks Everyone! I am pulling about a 34 lb right now. Almost to a 40 lb! I appreciate your advice!And thanks to the hecklers! You just wait til I put those pics up of me and those hogs someday! :tinfoilhatsmile:

PM sent Your going to need a 40lb to be legal. A 40lb bow will put a good broad head all the way thrugh a pig good shot . Not some 600lb boar but a 100 lb pig no problem.

Hahahahahahaha...you guys are funnnnnnny. Get yourself to an archery shop and pull on some 50, 60 & 70lb bows if you're serious about hunting pigs.
Shoot a real bow at 70 with out the training wheels. :smiley-outta-here:

Thank you Thumper; I almost forgot! Look at you shooting them real bows without training wheels! You rock! :smiley-outta-here:

If you're looking for a bow to hunt pigs you better shoot a 50 lb or heavier. I favor recurves but know folks that shoot them with longbows. make sure you can handle the bow and that you practice constantly.

Thanks Leftfoot! I hear conflicting lb weights over hitting a pig. I have heard 40 but then I was told today as long as I can shoot 130 yards, then I should be fine. We'll see the final outcome and I'll be sure to post those pics!

A 130 yards with a bow is waaaaaay out there. Maybe with a compound at least 70 pounds. But even then go to the range and look at 130 yards. It isn't done by expert bow hunters. I can tell you you won't be shooting but maybe half of that distance.

Alright Shooter John, I appreciate your help and advice. I thought that sounded a little too far fetched as well. Anyway, I hope to learn all I can from you and the others on here. Thanks so much!El

El, 40# is the minimum to hunt big game but not always the best poundage. You can easily take a deer with that poundage but shot placement is key, if you hit a bone you'll be looking for that animal for awhile. The key is kenetic energy which is obtained by the combinatin of arrow weight and arrow speed, for avage sized pigs 40# might be ok, but if your shot is just a little too high and or forward you will hit the thick cartilage and get almost no penetration. I think heavier draw weight is key to throwing the heavier arrows reqired for enough kenetic energy to let the air out of those bigger pigs effectively. Good luck El, Ron

Thank you Ron! Yeah, I was told the bigger the pig then I had better hit it good. I guess they have this kind of plate like material under their sking, the bigger ones, that makes it hard to penetrate with a lighter weight. I have learned so much more than I ever thought about hog hunting. But can't wait to actually do it! Thanks again Ron!El

Thanks Leftfoot! I hear conflicting lb weights over hitting a pig. I have heard 40 but then I was told today as long as I can shoot 130 yards, then I should be fine. We'll see the final outcome and I'll be sure to post those pics!
Excellent bowhunters might go 60 yards but most guys are shooting 20-40.

Thanks BC! I'm learning alot and your about right on those specs! Looking forward to my first hunt this year! Can't wait! :blush: