Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joel1316

223 Performance from 16" - 17" Barrel?

13 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of buying a rifle chambered for the 223rem with a 16" barrel. How much accuracy would I be sacrificing with such a short barrel? What other disadvantage does a 16" barrel bring?

At that barrel length you would probably find a 221 fireball more efficient, and would likely get comparable velocities. It is also likely to be quite loud.Drew

I believe 18" is the shortest legally allowed on a rifle barrel?! About the only thing you are likely to lose is velocity.... perhaps around 150 fps in a 223 between an 18" - 22" barrel. I've recorded as much as 140 fps loss on high intensity/velocity calibers with the barrel just 2" shorter, but that is not the norm with many, if not most calibers. That was on a 257 WBY mag.I've shot 20" 223's that were extremely accurate, so semi doubt much, if any loss in the accuracy dept?!Good LuckFrank

I'm thinking about this Ruger which has a 16.5 inch barrel and weighs in under 6 pounds.107L.gifI'm basically looking for a light rifle that can I walk with comfortably for a long time. All my "varmint" rifles are really "bench type" guns that weigh a ton! I'm also thinking of a single shot falling block, which should be accurate, light and a longer barrel should be less clumsy due to the shorter action. The longest I'd probably feel comfortable reaching is about 200 yards for dogs.

Steve,You'd hate looking into my gun safe then :( Its full of boat anchors :(

Joel, why do you have a safe full of boat anchors? I keep mine in the boats. :(:(

My boat anchors hate the water :(

joel1316,Seems like only one thing left to say. Why don't you get a TC carbine? You could have a gun that weighs about five lbs with a 16.5" barrel and many calibers between 17 Mach II and 45-70.Just a thought,A17Shooter

I've considered a Thompson, but there is just something I don't like about how you have to break open the action to load??? Its a personal thing I guess :lol:

I've considered a Thompson, but there is just something I don't like about how you have to break open the action to load???
That can be a pain when shooting from a bench. I mean you can get used to it but it isn't conducive to bench rest quality shooting as you're constantly having to adjust the gun.