CA Desert Dog

Red's Predator Hunting Rig

22 posts in this topic

My dedicated hunt rig is a 1981 old full sized Jeep. I thought I's post some photos and point out some rig features for the benefit of the new guys in the sport. Mine ain't fancy but the old dog hunts real well. Here is a brief profile of MY DEAR "Jezabell".post-3-1287954421.jpgThis front photo shows the added lighting. The driving lights for dark back roads and below the bumper are my "creeper" lights. The creepers are pointed down and give just enough light to run trails without spooking nearby animals.post-3-1287954424.jpgThe rear photo shows some added backup lighting. There are two tractor lights pointing down and a rectangular quartz lamp in the middle. They come in handy when backing up in rough country.post-3-1287954428.jpgThe engine is a straight six (258 cu. in.). It's not a powerhouse but it keeps the rig light and has a bunch of low-end torque. I ditched the old carb, smog pump and a bunch of vacuum lines when I janked it all and installed Mopar multi-port fuel injection system. I had to because the old gal would not pass smog with the old electronic carb. Then the manifold was hitting the brake booster so I had to go for a Hyda-Boost braking system. The sucker will stop on a dime though. I also installed a 3-core radiator and some other goodies to increase performance and MPG. It is a rebuilt engine that runs very well.post-3-1287954432.jpg Here is a photo of the cab. It shows a gadget bag for my hunt partners odds & ends, a home-made center console for hunt stuff and some extra instrumentation, including a dedicated charging indicator for the rear battery that feeds power to all of the hunt related lighting and electronics. post-3-1287954436.jpgThe photo of the roof shows the Nevada hatch, my spare fuel containers (8) and the rifle rest surrounding the roof area. Sandbags (6) are set all around when calling for easy access.CHECK OUT PART 2 FOR THE INTERIOR STUFF

Here is the interior of the old gal.post-3-1287954582.jpgThis photo shows the underside of the hatch, some of the rifle racks on the driver's side, a plywood roof console I made that holds the CD player & MP3 amplifier for the under-body speakers, the top of the hydraulic hunting chair for the hatch (on a portable base so it can be removed for sleeping in the rear of the rig), easy access scent spray bottles, howlers, red & white interior lighting and you can barely see the top of the axillary battery by the seat back.post-3-1287954586.jpgAnother interior view shows the spare water, cook box, cooler, and a better view of the battery behind the driver's seat. The underside of the roof console also has two 12-volt cigar lighter receptacles for hunting lights. post-3-1287954591.jpgThis is a rear photo of the passenger side. It shows the shooting seat base, rifle racks, a couple of decoy sets hanging on the overhead, fire extinguisher, shovel, hatchet, and some Home Depot carpenter's aprons that I affixed to the side of the rig to hold small items like tail cutters, rubber gloves, laser pointer, etc.post-3-1287954595.jpgThis is a complete rear view. When hunting, the hatch is pulled off and bungeed to the bar that holds the cooler and cook box in place. All loose gear is stowed on top of the cooler and cook box and held there by the hatch. Everything is removed for sleeping. The rear is floored with 3/4" plywood, padding and carpeting. That's my little rig guys. There is a bunch of small stuff such as under floor storage, etc. I hope the new guys will benefit from this overview of a hunt rig. It ain't the Ritz but I love the old girl. She takes me way out there and always brings us home.

That is an awesome truck. If Ted Nugent and McGiver had a baby, it would be you. Kudo's my man!

WOW! That's the best complement I could every want. Thanks....LOL

Hey Red that is one awesome hunting rig, I am amazed how you made everything come together and fit so well. Nice Job!

Did you do your own cammo job on it? And if so, could you explain how you did it? Thanks

That is a nice hunting outfit you have. I like the old rigs, they are reliable if you do your part, and I can still fix them when I have too. I am lost when these new one's dont run right.

Hey Jim, I thought you were going to meet up with Red and buy his rig? Is it now your?

Hi Braz, I wanted to take a look at it and I may get around to it but after seeing all the photos I will probably wait. I'll use what I have for now.

Heck, JimT, for a guy that hunts with a 4-wheel drive Lexus, buying my rig would be quite a step out of your comfort zone. And yes, I do mean that literally. That Lexus rig must really spoil ya :signtripledogdare2wf: I really can't see you driving a 1981 full sized Jeep Cherokee Chief. You'd go into amenity withdrwal :751: .

Red, I've seen rigs set up for hunting and then there is this! This is like a four wheeled bass boat. You've got it all and set just right. Very nice and very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Heck, JimT, for a guy that hunts with a 4-wheel drive Lexus, buying my rig would be quite a step out of your comfort zone. And yes, I do mean that literally. That Lexus rig must really spoil ya :signtripledogdare2wf: I really can't see you driving a 1981 full sized Jeep Cherokee Chief. You'd go into amenity withdrwal :751: .
Sadly, Red, I think you're right. It has spoiled me and it's a 4x4 and supposed to get me almost anywhere I'd want to go. It has a built in 3" suspension and much more. I rarely get out and try not to go anywhere I'd need 4x4 but if I needed to the Lexus GX 470 is a fancey 4Runner and the 4Runners have received excellent reviews for off-roading. I'm happy with what I've got. I actually bought it for camping and off-roading and the best thing, it's paid off.