Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caviel

Shotgun Purchasing Help

5 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone! I want to purchase a shotgun to go out hog hunting and turkey hunting. I don't want a super fancy one, just one i could get out there and get the job done. Could you guys recommend me a reasonable one that isn't going to cost over $200 and what kinda choke. I am going to Texas for a little while and I was planning on checking some of the gun shops and walmart (any problem with buying one at walmart?) over there and if i see one for the right price range and based upon what you guys recommend, im gonna buy it. I tried some of the stores in my local area and i could never find a great selection of guns. I also heard something that if i buy the long gun over there, i could transport it back to california in my car instead of shipping it to a gun dealer is that true? If i can't do that i'll either find a dealer or seach stores in so cal.Thank You GuysCaviel

You might find a 200 dollar used shotgun but I would say get a Remington 870 for 300 and it will last for ever. I have taken rabbits quail and deer with mine. If you really want to stay closer to 200 look at the NEF pardner.

If you have to stay at $200 you are going to have to buy a used gun. Or you could go with a single shot. Harrington & Richardson makes quality single shot for under $200. They have several. You can go to their web site and pick one out and they have a Dealer locater that will tell you the closest place to you to get one. I think you would be better off saveing for a while and getting one that you want to last for years and all different kinds of hunting. The 870 Pump suggested above is a good one. Here is a couple of links if you want to look at the H&R's. I am going to buy the Ultra Slug Hunter just because I think it will be more accurate with slugs than putting a slug barrel on one of the shotguns that I have already, and get a whole gun for about the same price. I have never been to Texas, but most of the states that I have been to will not sell to a nonresident. I am going to tell you that you would almost need two different barrels to hunt what you are asking for 1 rifled slug barrel with sites for hogs and a full choke smooth bore for turkeys. So now thinking about that this is probably not very good advice. :smiley_kewlpics: Sorry I don't know what I was thinking when I started typing this. H&R 1871Gallery of Guns

Is it completely necessary for a slug barrel or would i be fine hunting with a smoothbore for a pig?

You could but because of the simple bead front sight your range will be very limited. To get a shotgun with a standard bird barrel to reach out a bit further you will have to either get a set of clip on sights or a scope and mount. Just save up a few more bucks and buy a remington or mossberg combo gun. :smiley-outta-here: In the long run you will save money. With add on sights or a scope you will have to resight the gun whenever you switch from bird mode to hog mode and lead free slug loads aren't cheap. If you get a gun with two barrels you just swap them and you're ready to hunt. Scince you live in the bay area I assume you'll be hunting in the lead free zone so you wont be able to shoot the old style lead rifled slugs which are meant to be used with a smooth bore. A rifled barrel will work alot better for the lead free sabot ammo you'll have to use over there.