Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moe

Creamed Onions

10 posts in this topic

Not my recipe but I like it. You can use fresh onions if you want to go through the trouble. I don't so I just use frozen.Two bags frozen white pearl onions cooked according to package directions.3 tablespoons unsalted butter1 tablespoon all-purpose flour1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half1/4 teaspoon black pepper1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (Or just plain old nutmeg out of the jar)1/4 teaspoon salt1/2 cup coarse fresh white bread crumbs. Panko is good. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 1- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cream in a stream, whisking, and bring to a simmer, whisking. Simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in pepper, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pour sauce over onions.Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, then add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.Sprinkle toasted crumbs evenly over onions and bake until sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.

I'm going to bake some onions on the grill tonight like I do garlic. Nothing fancy just slice the tops add some butter a little salt and pepper and wrap in tin foil. But I'll try some creamed onions with the larger onions I grow. I found a few different recipes and I'll try this one too.

Thanks Moe, got it printed out and will give it a try. Looks good.

sounds good Moe!

Thanks for the recipie Moe. I am going to try it too.

Looking at this recipe again I would suggest either doubling the cream sauce recipe or just using one bag of onions. You want the onions totally covered by the cream sauce when baking.

I'm going to be giving this a try this next week. But I'm going to be cooking it in the dutch over with charcoal, rather than the oven. Yea baby, camping style!

Looking at this recipe again I would suggest either doubling the cream sauce recipe or just using one bag of onions. You want the onions totally covered by the cream sauce when baking.
Onions are very healthy. :signgreatreport3kg: