Guest coyoteslayer

Carp Shooting

30 posts in this topic

Well went and got my fishing lic. today and my wife said I could go out for a couple hours. Went out to the carp shooting ditch's kind of slow I was out there for almost 2 1/2 hours and only got five carp there weren't a whole lot of them on top I think the big females are making there nest in the mud at the bottom but I did manage to get a couple of the males and one female. But them small ones are a little harder to hit I missed a few well a lot :lol: but it was my first trip of the year a little rusty. Here are a couple of pics of the ones I shot and no I don't keep them they go on the bank.Picture044.jpgPicture041.jpgPicture045.jpgPicture042.jpg

thats cool I tried that a few years ago Its hard too hit them .Its a lot of fun you have any carp recipes.

thats cool I tried that a few years ago Its hard too hit them .Its a lot of fun you have any carp recipes.
I don't eat those nasty things I just shoot them. Last year there were two guys fishing on the ditch and they asked if they could have them I said go for it I bet they put 10 or so in there ice chest everytime I would shoot one they would come running down the bank pretty funny.

Yes I know slayer i was joking .When i finally hit one it was a rush i didn't have a real good set up like yours.I just jumped into the shallow river and retrieved my arrow..........lol the river close by is real low during the summer you can walk across it.Its along private land I have a mile too myself you should drive down sometime and go with me . Now that I am thinking about it I am going too look in my cabelas for a bow fishing set up........... Johnny

Looks like a lot of fun!On land your coyoteslayer, on water its carpslayer! :D

Here's how we cooked them after they were cleaned. We'd take a take a meat cleaver and chop them every 4 inches or so. Then we'd take a sharp knife and make a vertical cut from the backbone to the tips of the ribs every 1/2" to 3/4" or so. Batter and then fry in a deep fat fryer. The slices every 1/2" to 3/4" would expose more flesh to the hot grease and actually cause all those litttle bones to disenegrate so all you had to do was pluck it and eat.Ever shoot any garr? Their scales are so hard you've got to stick them when they are going away so the arrow czn get in under the open side of the scale. If you shoot one coming at you it just deflects.

Here's how we cooked them after they were cleaned. We'd take a take a meat cleaver and chop them every 4 inches or so. Then we'd take a sharp knife and make a vertical cut from the backbone to the tips of the ribs every 1/2" to 3/4" or so. Batter and then fry in a deep fat fryer. The slices every 1/2" to 3/4" would expose more flesh to the hot grease and actually cause all those litttle bones to disenegrate so all you had to do was pluck it and eat.Ever shoot any garr? Their scales are so hard you've got to stick them when they are going away so the arrow czn get in under the open side of the scale. If you shoot one coming at you it just deflects.
I've heard of people eating them but I've never tasted any of the ones I've shot. Don't tell me they're actually good to eat. After all I've eaten crow how much worse could a carp taste if prepared correctly. :D I've always wanted to shoot gar. We used to have a great setup for carp shooting with generator and lights and raised platforms. We have trash cans full of carp after an evening shoot. It is great fun that's for sure. :D

Well, I liked eating them any way. I cooked over 50 pounds of it at a party at my folks place before I joined the Navy. Of course, the beer that was being served may have had something to do with everyone's eating it!

Do you have any lemon pepper? Great stuff!!
Do I have any Lemon Pepper? :D Just ask my wife, it's my favorite thing for steaks and almost any other kind of meat. :o Costco has those King sized containers of it. :o

I've got the same container. The same time I do fish I've got another burner going with potatoe slices going. I wash them potatoes and then slice them into pieces about 3/8" thick and dump them into the fryer until they all start to float. Set them on papertowels in a beer flat and add the lemon pepper. Great stuff !!

I've got the same container. The same time I do fish I've got another burner going with potatoe slices going.
Hey, I do my sliced potatoes the same way and use the lemon pepper too! :o I thought I was the only one that did that and everybody loves my potatoes. :D When we go up to the houseboat everybody wants me to fix them for breakfast.

Actually, the chinese eat a lot of carp. I have eaten it at large Chinese festivals in San Francisco. Mostly they steam it and it is really quite good. The trick is to cook it well enough so the meat falls away from the bones and then the bones are not a problem. But it is good fish.

Hey, I do my sliced potatoes the same way and use the lemon pepper too! :o I thought I was the only one that did that and everybody loves my potatoes. :D When we go up to the houseboat everybody wants me to fix them for breakfast.
That's funny that we do them the same way. They are always a hit when I do them and I don't think I've ever had anyone tell me they didn't like them.Now I am hungry!

I feel a cooking competition coming on.... Chef John and Chef Heath - Carp and Potatoes on the menu! :D

I feel a cooking competition coming on.... Chef John and Chef Heath - Carp and Potatoes on the menu! :D
You're funny Joel! :o
I'll get the carp and one tri-tip for me :o
Looks like you threw away a perfectly good meal jeff. :lol:But I'll keep that tri-tip for you. :o

Is lemon pepper any good on coyote?
I don't know, but why don't you try some and give us a report! :lol::lol:

Here is the deal if we have our next club meeting a BB-Q. I will shoot some carp and at least two yotes to feed everyone plus my tri-tip. And everyone else brings all the beer I can drink. What do you think guys? :lol:

As for the Asians eating carp i know that for a fact i caught a couple of guys one time netting the local canal.I asked what was he doing he said he had a commercial license and he sells the carp in San Fransicko for 3 dolors a pound WOW thats good money he had a least a few hundred fish In his truck. I still called the warden out and made him check them out.