Iron Worker

Magna-Porting effectivness

28 posts in this topic

They want $125 bucks to do the work. Any one have experience with Magna-Porting?

They want $125 bucks to do the work. Any one have experience with Magna-Porting?
I wouldn't do it. I've got three .44 mags, three .454 casulls, and a .480 Ruger. Two of my .454's are ported. One is Magna-Ported, the other has the Taurus porting. They were bought used and came ported. The main reason some people get ported guns is because they think porting will cut recoil. It doesn't. Porting on a handgun is not the same as a muzzle brake on a rifle. Porting on a handgun directs the gases upward. This does not reduce recoil. It does reduce muzzle rise. The amount of recoil is still the same, it's just in another direction. Some actually believe that felt recoil is harder with a ported gun, since the barrel stays down and recoil drives back into the hand. Porting also makes a handgun much louder.

That's the best commentary I've received. Sounds like the best thing to do is reduce the load.

That's the best commentary I've received. Sounds like the best thing to do is reduce the load.
Yes, and then increase it (or not) as you get use to the recoil. The anaconda is a pretty heavy .44 (53 oz in 6") and handles recoil better then most others. With the heavy full lug barrel, muzzle rise is usually handled pretty well. Plus its the nicest looking 44 around. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Love minepost-3-1265159505.jpg

I am the other side of the coin. I shot my ruger 44mag for 15 years then had it ported. Wish I had done it 15 years sooner. My newer 44mag ruger RH and my ruger 454casull SRH are both mag-n-ported and I like them that way. Muzzle flip is reduced and I feel recoil is also. People who have shot my pistols and compared them to theirs have gone and ported their own gun. They were happy. I was never sorry for doing my guns. I see no need to do a 357 but with max loads in a 44/454 I like the gun ported. You are pretty close to me and if you want to try the guns ported you can try mine. Let me know. As far as noise. When target shooting I wear ear protection but not when hunting. I do not think you get much more noise from the ports as they are not angled back at you as many muzzle breaks are. You still have the cylinder gap and muzzle blast even without porting and that is much in a large cal rev with mag loads.

You are pretty close to me and if you want to try the guns ported you can try mine.
That's probably the best advice, since many people perceive recoil differently. And many guns handle recoil differently. On my magnums, I've basically got 3 different grip designs. With single action handguns the grip allows the gun to roll upward in your hand, making recoil less felt. On double actions, the barrel rolls upward less, and recoil comes back into your hand. And then the Bisley grip on one of my single actions is sort of a combination of both.My Ruger SRH .454 is not ported. My Freedom Arms and Taurus .454's are ported. All three guns are about the same weight (FA is lighter, but with scope about the same). I really can't tell any difference in the recoil from gun to gun. It's really something you have to experience yourself. So shooting a ported gun of similar size, weight, and design, (with the same ammo) is probably the best way to tell if you want to do the porting or not. When I was shooting heavy loads in my anaconda, I did go back to the older style grips that were narrow at the top and flared down at the bottom. This grip design allowed the recoil to roll upward, instead of straight back into the hand. In the end, I found that the more I shot my .454's, the lighter the recoil of the .44's got.post-3-1265159563.jpg

had my S/W 29 w/6 in barrel ported a couple of years ago , when hunting I can get back on target quicker, it eliminated the somewhat the upward torque to the left that I was disliking, sent it in myself , 10 day turnaround , good job, just a note about muzzle blast, I don't ever hunt with my pistol without wearing a set of inexpensive ear plugs that allow for normal conversation but help cut the damage to hearing

have 2 44's that are magna ported and i think it is a positive feature . not only does it help reduce felt recoil but it also brings the value of the weapon up .. cost 125 or so and increases your value up to 400 depending on your buyer.. if you were to ever sell it .

..........it also brings the value of the weapon up .. cost 125 or so and increases your value up to 400 depending on your buyer.. if you were to ever sell it .
Depends on the gun. A ruger redhawk or a taurus, yes. A classic like a model 29 or an anaconda, it could hurt the value.

I have had 3 done by mag-na-port 2 s&w 629s, 1 629 I had ported scoped, complete action tune-up and sling swivels installed all at m.n.p. after the work it was worth every penny that was put into it,, it increased the value and also the buyer appeal, I also ported my lone eagle 10" 444 marlin, it hurt to shoot the 444 more then a dozen times at 1 sitting now with the weight of a scope and porting its like shooting a 44 mag. My 2 cents on a hunting hand gun it does make for a faster follow up shot, and unless its a collector's item increases the value also M.N.P. does excellent work the sling swivels they welded or soldered ( not sure which) on the barrel of the 629 looked factory they matched the finish and color of the stainless perfectly

Dirty Harry never needed any Magna Porting. :roflmao3[1]:
"...Most powerful handgun in the world. Do ya feel lucky, punk?"I wasn't going there but SJ started it.

"...Most powerful handgun in the world. Do ya feel lucky, punk?"I wasn't going there but SJ started it.
Well do ya ?

Dirty Harry used blanks................

Dirty Harry used blanks................
How dare you!!! I suppose you're gonna try and tell us that John Wayne couldn't knock out a bad guy with one punch either!

Of course he did. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

Dirty Harry never needed any Magna Porting. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:
He was a Pussy he shot 44 Special!John have you had the pleasure of shooting the Smith 4 in Alloy full house factory Man can it kick but a Sweet Gun hope to own one somedayOn single action I had a Super Black Hawk 44 when I was 18 hated the roll of the grip so went to bigger wood then to Pachmayr no more twist and return to target much fasterOnly 1 time did I regret late reloading one night instead of 5 gr of Bullseye 250 gr Hard Cast Keith dumped 10 gr :lol: that load removed skin from my hand :lol:

I test fired a 2in Model 29 that was custom made for Elmer Keith himself. It wasn't not Magna-ported either.

And what was the load 2400 and a 250KT?What was the first word from you after pulling the trigger? And the Concussion that was felt by your friend next to you Priceless :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

And what was the load 2400 and a 250KT?
21grs if I remember right.

Actually Elmer used 22grs of 2400 with his 250gr Keith style lead bullet. But nowadays 20.5 to 21grs is all that is recommended. The blast and flash from that gun is awesome! But now that S&W has the 500 I'm sure it's pales in comparison. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Elmer was a very nice guy. Some say you like him or hate him.

Do you have a guess at muzzle velocity? Out of a 2" BBL and knowing 2400 is a relatively slow burner.

How dare you!!! I suppose you're gonna try and tell us that John Wayne couldn't knock out a bad guy with one punch either!
John boy from the waltons was a bigger man than John Wayn! John wayn was a draft dodging wuss and cheated on his wife and left his kids. :flag: Now outlaw Josei Wells was a cool guy.

For my two cents consider a grip change. I have found that while one grip on my 44 Mag will actually hurt my wrist that another will be completely comfortable. trouble is you can spend the same amount of money on a quality grip as you are speaking of for the porting........ Decisions Decisions :flag: