Cranky Farmer

17 vs 308

12 posts in this topic

I spent a good part of Friday night loading up some more 17 Remington. After I finished I started doing case prep work on some 308 for my brother. After loading all those 17's that 308 looks HUGE! I am going to do some 150's and 165's for my brother for deer.

Heath, You got a keen eye for the obvious. Those 150 and 165 grain .30 cal bullets are huge compared to a 25 grain .17 cal. bullet...Walt

Heath, You got a keen eye for the obvious. Those 150 and 165 grain .30 cal bullets are huge compared to a 25 grain .17 cal. bullet...Walt
Yeah, when the bullet drops into the cases and rattles around something isn't right! :rolleyes:

John, When they fall down the neck I fish them out and just grab the channel locks and crimp them suckers down. Never had a problem with them after that. I have noticed that the accuracy falls off a little but I figure it's just because I don't crimp them all the same. The ones I find really hard are the ones that for some reason the bullets are to big for the neck and I squish them. Have you encountered that problem before? and if you have. Do you have a good solution. I just can't seem to come up with one,,,YET....Walt

John, When they fall down the neck I fish them out and just grab the channel locks and crimp them suckers down. Never had a problem with them after that. I have noticed that the accuracy falls off a little but I figure it's just because I don't crimp them all the same. The ones I find really hard are the ones that for some reason the bullets are to big for the neck and I squish them. Have you encountered that problem before? and if you have. Do you have a good solution. I just can't seem to come up with one,,,YET....Walt
Start with a 20 cal expander then 22, 243, 257 , 264, 284, 308 and she'll fit. Don't ferget to anneal once in a while. Takes a little time but, it's worth it. :rolleyes: A17Shooter

I think I will stay way inback of you :rolleyes: You can take a hammer and hammer them to size. or just super glue them to the case :lol:

Peekerseeker, Thanks for the tip. That super glue works great. They don't want to chamber for crud though and I have been having to use a big hammer to close the bolt on them. Update: I went to the range with my new 308-17 Rem and the gun came apart when I tried it. But that super glue should have it up and running again as soon as I find all the pieces...Thanks again for the tip. Who would have thought,,super glue, great stuff...Walt

I thought that's why they made boat tail bullets to fit in smaller case necks? :);)

And to think I've been doing it wrong all this time!
Does that mean you've been putting the pointy end into the case first? :)