CA Desert Dog

Are there any 6.5 Grendel shooters here?

24 posts in this topic

I am just wondering how many 6.5 Grendel shooters we have on the forum. If you shoot a Grendel and you'd like to discuss any aspect from building to reloading, accessories, long-range shooting, etc. Drop me a note. If you are interested in more information about the 6.5 Grendel, by all means, please chime in too.

Hi there Deser Dog. I am a strong advicate for the Grendel. I loved my Hunter Model. Unfortunally I had to part from it beacuse I am downsizing my toys inventory :closedeyes: due to the coming of my first child. I still have plans to purchase a new in the future....that is if they are not banned by then. That grendel was a beauty....straight shooter, relatively light, and easy to maintain.

No kidding. I am really sold on the caliber. I just worked up a load for Sierra 107 HP Match bullets that really rocks. I gave five loaded rounds to a buddy and they all touched at 100-yards from his 16" Grendel too. Your first child will open up feelings and insights that you never dreamed of before. The sound of their laughter, their little hugs, the words, "I love you Daddy", and all of the other loving gifts that God throws in along with the experience are priceless. Once you get through the slepp deprivation baby part.....LOL

Greetings, I am new to the forum and also shoot the 6.5. I just finished building not long ago so I haven't worked up any loads other than listed stuff. I'm still fireforming brass. I have had very good results with Hornaday 95gr V-max and X-terminator powder. I've got some different bullets loaded now and ready to see how they shoot.Greg

I recently loaded up some Sierra 107 grain bullets and they gave me better than 1/2 MOA. I gave five rounds to a friend with a Grendel and he had similar results. If you're interested in the load, PM me and I'll send it to you. I also have some 140 grain Sierra loads that work.

I've only put the 95gr Vmax on paper and only one, 3 shot string that measured .417" CTC. 2 of them overlapped, measuring .147 CTC so I must've pulled that flyer B) They were loaded with 30.8grs of X-terminator. I'll chrono the load next and report back. I've got some 120gr Barnes TTSX, Barnes 110gr solids, 107 and 123 SMK's and 123 Lapua Scenars loaded but haven't shot them yet. I'll probably try them out later this week. I'm shooting an 18" Lothar Walther bbl.

Sorry it took so long to get back on and answer your post. My load for the Sierra 107 grain bullets is 27.5 grains of V140. This load is very accurate. I set the bullets to just fit the magazine. My 120-grain Barnes TSX load is the same charge of 27.5 grains of V140. It shot under an inch too. Good enough for hunting larger game. I also loaded up some 140 grain Sierra spitzers and pushed them with 24.5 grains of V140. Accuracy was about 3/4". I just built some more 140 grain loads and up the charges. We'll see how they do when I am able to get to the range again.I am shooting a 16" Alexander Arms barrel.

I know this is an old thread but I am thinking about building a 6.5 grendel and am looking for suggestions.

I am not sure what kind of suggestions you are looking for but I will make a couple of brief points. In my own (free) opinion, the main accuracy components are the barrel and the trigger. There is no need to purchase special uppers or lowers. Spike’s Tactical made both of my lowers and they were not expensive. I got my M4 uppers at Bravo Company and they were $100.00 each. My 16” barrel came from Alexander Arms and I paid about $260.00 for the barrel and complete bolt. If you PM me with your e-mail addy, I’ll drop you a parts list with supplier’s names.

There will be one more shooter on here very soon!! Just need a few more parts!! :signgreatreport3kg: I can't wait!! Thanks again for all of your help!

Red you don't see a benefit of a longer than 16" barrel?

No doubt there are benefits to a longer barrel. However, weight was a consideration for me. A 16" AA Grendel barrel is capable of holding a 3" group at 450-yards shooting 120-grain bullets. That group was shot in a club contest by my customer and friend Ken, using a Hawke Sidewinder scope and the Hawke ballistic program. Speaking for myself, that is all the accuracy I will ever need. Naturally, it is a personal choice.

Red, can you pm me a parts list and picture of your complte AR? I didn't take a good look at it last weekend.Ron
It was SWEET!

post-3-1271977559.jpgHere is a pic of my Grendel before I replaced the 6-24 X 50 Bushnell 4200 Elite with the Hawke Sidewinder scope. I'll have to send you the parts list from home.OK Ron. I found a copy of the list here and sent it in a PM.Red

post-3-1271977559.jpgHere is a pic of my Grendel before I replaced the 6-24 X 50 Bushnell 4200 Elite with the Hawke Sidewinder scope. I'll have to send you the parts list from home.OK Ron. I found a copy of the list here and sent it in a PM.Red
What's that bad boy weigh? What're the specs on that scope? I like it!! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I am not sure of the Grendel's weight Bruce. Next time I am in the vault, I'll attempt to weigh it. As for the scope, it was a Bushnell 4200 Elite tactical 6-24 X 50. I replaced it with a Hawke Tactical. You would not like the Bushy....narrow field of view.

Just got mine finished. ST-15 lower RRA NM trigger, AA24" overwatch topped with a SWFA 10x42HD. Just started working up loads for it with 123 smk's and have had some promising results, though the powder seems to be burning pretty dirty (win 748, blc2). If you had any pet loads you would like to share Desert Dog it would be much appreciated.John

Got it! I have a built lower just waiting for an upper. Now I need to sell my M1 carbine to pay for it.
Jawbreaker, can you share your parts list with us. I have the stripped lower and complete Alexander Arms upper. I need everything else.

I haven't looked at the 6.5 in a while, but I just started handloading and have considered building an upper for my AR with a little more thump. Who is making good barrels+bolt sets for the 6.5 these days, aside from Alexander Arms of course.

Red, if you have a 6.5 Grendel non-lead load I may want to borrow what data you have. I'd like to put a good non-lead load together to cover the condor areas. Care to share?