ff.hogue

This thread is dedicated to the most amazing hunting rig ever

43 posts in this topic

The best rig I've had was a beat up '78 ford 3/4 ton with a 351M, manual 4 speed granny, and 4;11 gears. My deer hunting buddys called it "The Tractor". Damn thing was a brute. It did it's best work just above idle speed and I didn't mind putting fresh dents in it. It had great ground clearance for a big rig and everything important was tucked up nice and tight under the truck so I could belly slide it over obstacles with no worries. I did take it up a jeep trail in the Herring creek area that shut down a (loud mouthed) buddys lifted toyota :) but I didn't have the tailgate on my truck at the time and I busted up a whole ice chest full of beer during the steepest part of a greasy climb. :smiley_kewlpics:100_0437.jpgCrappy pic. Somewhere I have a pic that shows the big black winch/push bumper with a scull and crossbones on it.

:smiley_kewlpics: I got a picture of two of them Seriosly though I had the gut wrenching priveladge of watching my friend roll one into the river.

Best hunting rig I ever owned was a 1984 Toyota extended cab shortbed 4x4 pickup, 22R 4 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual tranny, 3" suspension lift, 32" BFG Mud Terrains. That thing was a mountain goat. Previous owner had installed some kind of locker in the rear so most of the time all I needed to do was shift into 4 low for the gearing, locking in the hubs wasn't necessary. The extended cab was nice for keeping guns, snacks, tool kit, first aid kit, blankets, etc. out of the weather and the bed was big enough for my ice chest & chainsaw, with room to spare for a deer. 4 cylinder was super reliable (bought it with 215000 miles, my cousin ended up with it at 240000 miles, and it's still running!) and quiet too. Can't tell you how many times I'd come around a corner and catch deer standing in the road, almost took a few out that way. Only thing it didn't have was a winch and at the time I couldn't afford one. Just carried a long tow strap, chains, and a heavy duty chain drive come-along instead. That was the second Toyota pickup I owned. First one was my very first vehicle, an '86 standard cab shortbed with 160000+ miles on it. (Clampdaddy should remember that one!) Both with the 22R engine & 5 speeds. They just kept running & running...

That was the second Toyota pickup I owned. First one was my very first vehicle, an '86 standard cab shortbed with 160000+ miles on it. (Clampdaddy should remember that one!)
Yep, probably the prettiest yota around. I loved that super bright red paint job.

My friend had a bad ass samurai but you couldn't fit an animal in it if you wanted. So where are the pictures of the cool Sami's?

1970 F250 4WD. No power steering, brakes, windows. Would go anywhere, never broke down. Sold it after 15 years to buy a new Powerstroke. First year on the Powerstroke, the AC went out, along with the Turbo (last day of warranty), then fuel injector. It's ok now, but damn.

Marino, I had the same model pickup for 16 years and sold it for a new Ford Diesel too. I wish I had my old Ford back it was an awesome truck that took me places carrying things my Jeep could never do.

I agree the Samurai is a great hunting vehicle!!!sure is if you can keep the wheels on the ground heck I won't even park next to one

OK Guys you ask for it so here is a picture of my Suzuki Samurai, I know its kinda late in the theme of things but this is one bad toy. I named it the whevos machine. For the simple reason it will go wherever you have the whevos to point it. I have winched out so many jeeps I ordered a sticker for the back that simply states Jeep Remover. 8 to 1 gear reduction--8000 lb winch --- Air lockers front and rear---traction bars---33 inchSuper Swampers, (which by the way I can run down the road at 65 mph with these tires)--- It uses 3 blue top Optima batteries (no not to run down the road, but to run the winch---KC lights etc.---Super duty GMC alternator---Super Duty dual friction clutch---and I installed a sattelite radio system for your enjoyment. What else could you ask for? Have used it in Colorado and California---never a problem. By the way someone was worried about room, 3 people hunt inside and I have carried 3 deer out on the top in the luggage rack. After seeing the posts in here I just had to answer with (THE REAL FACTS) :roflmao3[1]:post-3-1285522226.jpg

I thought they ran on a rubber band. :good:
They upgarded that. People got sick of having to push there car backwards for 1 mile jsut to go 5 miles forward.

I've seen this model too that fits on several different models of rubber band powered vehicles. :good:windupkey.gif

Barbie called and she wants her Jeep back. :signgreatreport3kg: Buy a Toyota!
It's a shame you guys don't have live axles in the front with those toys unless you steal them from a Jeep or an American truck.

OK Guys you ask for it so here is a picture of my Suzuki Samurai, I know its kinda late in the theme of things but this is one bad toy. I named it the whevos machine. For the simple reason it will go wherever you have the whevos to point it. I have winched out so many jeeps I ordered a sticker for the back that simply states Jeep Remover. 8 to 1 gear reduction--8000 lb winch --- Air lockers front and rear---traction bars---33 inchSuper Swampers, (which by the way I can run down the road at 65 mph with these tires)--- It uses 3 blue top Optima batteries (no not to run down the road, but to run the winch---KC lights etc.---Super duty GMC alternator---Super Duty dual friction clutch---and I installed a sattelite radio system for your enjoyment. What else could you ask for? Have used it in Colorado and California---never a problem. By the way someone was worried about room, 3 people hunt inside and I have carried 3 deer out on the top in the luggage rack. After seeing the posts in here I just had to answer with (THE REAL FACTS) :signgreatreport3kg:
Looks like you took a Sami and turned it into a Jeep. Smart move.

I don't have a problem with Samurai's. I think whatever gets you out there is perfect. I've actually considered buying one for hunting, but I hear they only have an 8 gallon gas tank which doesn't give a lot of gas left once you get out there.

they were designed with the 8 gallon tank so that you only had one gallon of fuel left to burn it with after it broke down............ OllllO