bzzrd feedr

Monterey Salmon

16 posts in this topic

Went out yesterday with our group on a party boat. !4 of us and we caught 14 fish, biggest being 20#. Now the rest of the story. The DF & G boys were out in force and checked us. 5 guys (not me) were using the wrong kinda hooks. It took at least 2 1/2 hrs. of them screwing around writing tickets, plus they wrote the deckhand a ticket for allowing the illegal hooks. All right in the middle of the prime fishing time. Spoiled a nice day.

That hook thing has been around for awhile. :angry: You can't even have them with you out there. ;)

Have you always fished out of Monterey Dale?
I don't know where "Monterey Dale" is, but he caught those at Monterey! :angry:

It's not that fur from Oakdale and north of Oildale.

So those boys had there own equipment or those hooks were supplied by the party boat? If so that sucks if they have to pay the ticket.

All the equipment was ours, including the setups. (hooks) We don't think it's going to stick on the crew and had an atty. with us who is going to deal with it for the boat. It appears the dfg is trying to see if they can make something stick onto the crew, they cited a bunch of different sections of the regs. that weren't really applicable. I think thats what took them so long. mr mr I fish wherever they are biting and the closer the better to the harbor. Monterey is good cause its close and when the fish are in it can be very good. HMB, the GG, and BB all can be good at times just depends.

You must use circle hooks which are barbless and of a certain size for mooching. It's a BS law that came to pass because of the commercial guys putting pressure on F&G due to the moochers catching lots of fish and the trollers weren't. Makes no sense cause the limit is still two with a min. length and the commercial guys could catch all they could. If a private boat is trolling You can use barbless J hooks.

I am heading out tomorrow (Saturday) to fish for the 'other pink meat'.I have been invited on a pvt boat and I am looking forward to it!I will report on the results.GET BIT!!Kevin

Hello CPC folks,It was a long day on the pond for no joy.Frank had invited me out on his 18.5 Walkaround Trophy yesterday in the hunt for some nice Silver Salmons.We launched and cleared the Santa Cruz harbor around 7:30 AM and headed for the Soquel Hole. The water on the way out was like glass and at 30 MPH we were at the Hole with the rest of the fleet in no time. We metered fish at the hole and dropped the downriggers in. We were running Watermelon flashers with Crippled Herrings. Most of the folks were trolling North/South, with a few Bozo?s trolling East/West. Frank had his rig at 150 - 200 feet and I had mine at 100 - 150. Nothing but radio chatter in the air for the next two hours. We then moved to the Slide area for the same result. No joy. Still lots of radio chatter and growing reports of ?radio fish?. Funny . . . all the time we fished with the fleet . . . I didn?t see a single bent rod or a single net touched.We slid well south of the fleet off of Paharo (sp) Dunes for the same result: nada. We tried mooching, tried changing over to Anchovies, we tried changing over to Hoochies. We headed into the ?shallow? water @ 100 - 120 feet.Back out to the Monterey Buoy and deep water . . . nada.Around 1:00 or so there was lots of chatter of ?it is getting rough out here and we are heading back in? (with limits of course :angry: ). Huh? Rough? 3 foot waves spaced about 10 seconds apart with a 5 ? 8 knot wind. The only thought in my head was these folks don?t fish much . . . rough? Allrightfinethen.At about 4:15 we decided to cut and run back to the barn. We did get into some sloppy stuff on the way ?uphill?, but nothing to write home about at all.Pulled and washed the boat and gear down at about 5:15 or so.All in all it was a nice day on the pond . . . I wished the sun would have burned through and we had some fish to show for our efforts, but it was good to get on the water again.Kevin

Sounds like you had a great time for the day, even if you didn't have any fish to clean. On second thought, maybe that is a good thing. :angry:

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days ___________(fill in the blank) :)Work in my case. No boss and italian food on company account :angry: