assasin

smoking fish

17 posts in this topic

buzzrd feedr,You'er not rolling it right.PS Like a former president of ours. Don't inhale

so i use apple,oak and pecan wood but i was wondering has anyone used old wine or wiskey barrels and how did it turn out?
I have never used barrel wood befoe but have soaked wood chips in wine before and it turned out great. I would not be afraid to give it a tryRobert

I've tried smoking salmon but it won't stay lit. :lol:
Whenever I smoke salmon I always get the munchies. . . :)

Smoking is the only way I can eat salmon or trout. Those two fish are just nasty. Its like eating carp. I can't believe what people pay for this kind of fish. :lol:

Smoking is the only way I can eat salmon or trout. Those two fish are just nasty. Its like eating carp. I can't believe what people pay for this kind of fish. :lol:
You've obviously never eaten Rocky Mountain Sushi my friend. You haven't lived until you've prepared sashimi in the way back with wild trout you just caught.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. If you know how to prepare carp it is good eating. As far as trout and salmon being nasty ... what fish DO you like?

Bass, walleye, catfish, panfish. People out here sh-t themselves when they see you put a 2lb bass on a stringer. I could understand if it was a big breeder but just wait until all they are catching is 1-2lb fish then they'll realize they should have culled the little bastards.

I'm not a big Salmon and Trout fan my self. But I do love a good eating Striper uuummmmm good.

I heard of a way thats been around for years to fix carp. It requires cedar planks, you clean the carp and remove as many bones as you can, then strech the filet over the cedar plank and nail it down with tacks. Put salt and lots of red pepper on the meat. Throw it out in the hot sunshine for a day to "cure" it, then bring it in, remove the fish, throw away the carp, and eat the plank!Good stuff maynard...Jack

To smoke fish you filet with the skin on. Then in a pot mix about a 1/2 lb of sugar and 1/2 lb of non-iodized salt. Mix in a few quarts of water and try and get all the solids in solution. Then put your fish in and soak overnight (at least). The next day take it out and put it on a rack to dry. You just want the outside not to be wet. Then burn your coals down and take soaked alder chips and put them on the hot coals. Let it smoke a couple of hours. You are not looking for heat but rather let the smoke do the cooking. You may need to light more coals and put those in. On top more soaked chips. I will let 5-8 lbs of fish smoke for about six hours, low and slow.When its done it will be moist and tasty!!! I do this with salmon, tuna, albie, or halibut. WSB is particularly good this way.

I gave up SMOKING FISH 20 years ago_ just couldn't keep those fish lit? :smiley-funny-post-sign:

You guys should post pics of your smoked meats.
:smiley-funny-post-sign::roflmao3[1]: not gonna touch that one...LOL