fakawee

Everyone's out of ammo

34 posts in this topic

My hunting partner has been trying to find some Hornady .223 55gr moly coated Vmax rounds. We've called everyone, Midway, Cheaperthandirt.com, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc....no one has it in stock and no one except Cabela's will do backorders. Seems like everyone is in a panic for ammo. Do any of you know where we might find this ammo?

Thanks tawnoper! Called them this morning but they don't have the Hornady V-max 55gr in moly. Thanks anyway!

no kidding I was at wallmart in turlock and I bought the last box of 40 s&w they were all out of all pistol ammo other than 22lr and some 25 auto that was it! I never seen anything like that before. Osama gets the award for selling the the most guns and ammo being president I think the NRA should give him an award. I can't even go to my local gun shop it's full of one timers buying handguns they ran out of safety cards. :1106: then regulars like me get it in the @zz :roflmao3[1]: because the shop has so much business they don't care about us anymore can't wait tell this all ends.

You guys better start reloading. I'm dragging out my bullet casting equipment to start using some of the ton of lead I have. I'd rather make it into something I can shoot out of a handgun or rifle than fishing weights. Maybe it's time to buy a Hawken Rifle and start casting up some .50 or .54 cal offerings for it. At least I can make my own black powder.

I know I need to begin to reload, but where does one start? It seems like there are so many different options it's not clear to me the best place to begin. Do you guys have any suggestions for a beginner? And how do you make your own black powder?

I know I need to begin to reload, but where does one start? It seems like there are so many different options it's not clear to me the best place to begin. Do you guys have any suggestions for a beginner?
Run away NOW. :carnage: Seriously, once you start you will find TONS of stuff you never even heard of that you NEED now. :)If I had it to all over again, I would find someone local to you with either a Dillon 550 or 650 and get them to show you the ropes. Then save your pennies, drink the blue Kool-aid and get yourself a Dillon. :drool: They really are THAT good.Most will tell you to start out slow (probably great advise) and that's what I did, but I ended up spending a lot of time and $$ trying to get to what I wanted (which turned out to be a Dillon).

I just bought 1,000 Nosler ballistic tips for my .223 from Midway yesterday. Although they were out of a lot of stuff, they had exactly what I wanted. They were even on sale!

Usually the best way to start reloading is to purchase a starter kit from one of the better known reloading companies. These give you all of the basics to start reloading. Then as time goes on you can add to your equipment as need and as your experience increases.You can learn to make black powder on the Internet. We made fireworks as kids so that's how I got started. It isn't something I recommend attempting at the dining room table though. :carnage:

try gunsfishing.com they have most of anything.we have found stuff there the other guys didnt

I've been stocking up and loading up everything I've got. I went to the Valejo gun show today. There were a few good ammo deals left but nothing great. I didn't pick up two boxes of 30-30 hornady leverevolution for $17ea. Also nabbed 500 200gr lead bullets for my 44special loads. I didn't see Clampdaddy's 03' source but did see a LOT of nice WWII rifles and a couple nice M-14's.I'm still using a single stage press but I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to move to a Dillon. Just can't afford it so I'll keep taking my time.

It's not just ammo but handguns also. I went looking to buy something in a 45ACP or 40 S&W. Went to sportsman's warehouse. They had one S&W in 45ACP. Just one. They had three 1911 clones that were around $1000 each. I left and went to another gun shop. One Glock and one S&W in 40 S&W almost identicle to the one at Sportsmans. Drive an hour away to a small gunshop only locals know about. There they had about five. Picked up a 1911 clone from Rock Island Armory. Paid a bit too much for it but was tired of not finding anything anywhere and concerned about all the cons this state is going to be letting out into our communities soon.

Thanks for all the help and comments fellows. I've called just about everyone and no one has them. I put in a call to Hornady on Friday and they said they are making it as fast as they can but the .223 in all grains, seems to be the most sought after round. They say supplies should be picking up and they are shipping backorders to their distributors. So the wait keeps going! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Ya, seems like ammo in general is hard to get ahold of. Went to WallyWorld and I bought the last box of 9mm luger and 243. Guy said they havent had anything in stock and if they do get shipments they are small and gone fast. Seems like all they had was shotgun ammo, so I figured I might as well buy a 100rnds of that. :)

Fjold, you could get real rich real quick by selling all that you have to those who don't have any. Of course you would have to sell it at a much higher price that you paid. You and SJ could start your own shop. :smiley_green_with_envy:

my wife just said i wouldnt post that, you may get a knock at the door? the pics of all those bullets and ammo. cool stock pile though.

I've got ammo stashed in three locations. I've been collecting this stuff for the last 20+ years.Stash #1 12 gauge pump ammo and 7.62x54RMVC-021F-5.jpgStash #2 .17HMR 20 gr. and .17M2MVC-022F-7.jpgStash #3 Everything from .17HMR 17 gr., 22lr, 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 40S&W, 45ACP, 44 Mag, 454 Casull, .223, 7.62x39, 12 gauge auto, 12 gauge slugs, 30-30MVC-023F-7.jpg

I keep mine in ammo cans and aluminum brief cases. ;) Not sure how much I have, the boxes are heavy so I try not to move them. ;) I keep the stuff I am currently using/hunting with on top of my safe. The powder, primers and bullets are out in the garage.