Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SOcal

GIANT Squid!

14 posts in this topic

SO we went out last week and caught our first giant squid... Luckily we only kept two and still ended up with 25+ lbs of squid steaks. Heres how I cooked mine:the squid steaks were pounded out, cut into strips about 1/4' strips about 4 inches long, dipped in egg batter and breaded with coconut and bread crumbs and fried. Funny thing is it tasted just like coconut shrimp, but had a very strange texture. Anyone else got any good recipes, I still have quite a bit to eat and figured I might as well experimet

I was told to fry it in as hot of oil as possible to avoid it getting "soggy" and spongy tasting. Im gonna try some in a red marinara sauce tonight with pasta....

I heard those things have big beaks you gotta watch out for...true? Visions of Captain Nemo...

The Humboldt squid do have parrot like beaks, have ring-teeth on their tenticles, and have been known to have attacked people diving at night in Mexico - we're talking 5-6 foot Humboldt squid here, not counting tenticle length. Nobody has died yet though, but several have almost drowned from being dragged under.Any abalone recipe also works good for calamari. My favorite is a nice steak battered and fried up with beer batter, stuffed in a pita shell.

You can boil the squid with a wine cork (has to be made of cork to work) and that will help keep calamari and octopus tender.

The mantle of the squid, the main meat part, has several layers of a membrane that needs to be peeled off before you cook it. If you don't it won't taste good and will be very tough.

here's what I did and it worked out really well. Remove the thin layer of membrane on both sides of the steak. Pound the crap out of them with a tenderizing hammer. Soak in milk for 24 hours. Cut into 1 inch strips. Dip in egg wash, bread them with panko bread crumbs. Fry till golden brown. The trick is you need to eat them as soon as you pull them out of the fryer, they are not as good once they cooled. Taste just like what you get in the restaurants. Dip in cocktail sauce, or any sauce of your choice.Kind of reminds me, its time to get me some.

Dont forget the ole Pine board recipe. works on coyotes too!

Dont forget the ole Pine board recipe. works on coyotes too!
Thats the best way for squid. great for clams and oisters also. :roflmao3[1]: but its good catfish bait. :roflmao3[1]: