Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D-Man

Number 4 Steel Shot

7 posts in this topic

As 98% of my experience is with handguns and rifles, I am tapping the expertise on here regarding number 4 steel shot. Soon I will be doing some hunting in a shotgun only area that is located in the buzzard zone. Went over to Bass Pro this morning and picked up a box of number 4 steel shot. It 2 3/4" chambering and states velocity at 1375 fps. Will that work for yotes? Should I take it back and go for number 2 shot instead? From what I have seen on here, number 4 shot with a full choke is what everyone seems to using.Darren

My experience with this stuff is limited, but here goes.1. I think what most folks use is LEAD #4 BUCK (not #4 shot as that's different).2. I also think you will find Steel NOT recommended for Yotes unless you happen to be REALLY close (within 20yds or LESS).3. You are better off just getting some Hevi-shot or Remington Wingmaster in T-shot size. It's expensive, but a proven killer. Plus, how many shots are you going to take? The Coyote is worth at LEAST $3 per shot after all the time, money and effort you put into the opportunity to shoot one.

Yep - #4 definitely different than #4 buck.#4 shot is .130" and 135 pellets per oz in lead - 192 pellets/oz steel#4 buck is .24" and 21 pellets/oz - I've never seen buckshot in steel.I use #4 shot for jack rabbits, pheasant and ducks so I don't tear them up for good eating.

I would take that shot back unless you are hunting ducks. I would exchange it for some Hevi-shot dead coyote since it was designed for hunting yotes and works good. It is non toxic so you can use it in the buzzard zone. It is a little more pricey, but you aren't blazing away when hunting yotes so it should last awhile.

#4 steel is comparable to #6 lead so you'd better load heavier. I'd forget about steel altogether and get some of the heavier than lead non-toxic ammo.

If you want a decent steel load for predators, get some T shot in the longest hull your gun will shoot. I have taken coyotes out to 40 yards with steel T, but I don't recommend it.

Just cough up the 35 dollars for the dead coyote rounds.You should have a dead dog for each round,that stuff is wicked!