dull

Hard to Break Open Shotgun

9 posts in this topic

I have a cheap Boito Over/Under shotgun. I've heard bad reviews about them but its what I have to work with for the time being. Sometimes it is hard to break open and even have to break it over my knee. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a solution (besides getting a new shotgun). I opened it up and noticed the hammer springs are wound really tight when the hammers are cocked---comrpessed all the way and some snaking in the spring. I was wondering if I took some coils off this would help? Thanks.

I heard they are tight like that because hot loads will loosen them up over time. It should lose up after a few hundred rounds.

I don't think Boito is in business anymore or is imported to the USA anymore. I don't know if any of the parts from other Brazilian makers are interchangeable ie. the iga/stoeger condor. Many double barrel shotguns when new seem stiff to me.

take it to a smith.
Yup.......Some gunsmiths specialize in shotguns. Check at your local trap, skeet or sporting clays facility for a reference.Having to break open a loaded shotgun over your knee is dangerous.

I have a cheap Boito Over/Under shotgun. I've heard bad reviews about them but its what I have to work with for the time being. Sometimes it is hard to break open and even have to break it over my knee. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a solution (besides getting a new shotgun). I opened it up and noticed the hammer springs are wound really tight when the hammers are cocked---comrpessed all the way and some snaking in the spring. I was wondering if I took some coils off this would help? Thanks.
A late thanks to you guys....sorted out the problem myself. In case anyone has similar issue: Per advice didn't touch the springs. I noticed drag marks from the firing pins on the primers after breaking open the gun. So what I did was pull em out, clean everything up (all old gunk/grease) and I polished the firing pins with a fine grinding wheel and buffer-----rounded out the tips of the firing pins and polished up the sides some and now they slide by without digging in the primers and it works just fine.

What have you been cleaning with?I had a stubborn safety on a 20 ga. that I have that finally just resolved itself out of the blue when I started using CLP instead of Hoppe's.