Nitro

12 gauge, Skunk Load

6 posts in this topic

I have used several sizes of shot and various shotguns and I now use 1 1/4 oz (by weight) of #2 lead shot in a short (21 inch) true cylinder barrel. If the range is longer than 20 yards a full choked gun will work on skunks for up to 70 yards. The only problem I have is to find a decent reload recipe. Most of the loading data is for smaller shot and 1 1/4 oz of #2 takes up the same volume as a 1 3/8 load of 7 1/2.I am using a Blue Magic hull with 4756 and a WAA12R wad and it works ok but I am still searching for the ideal load. I have also used HS6 and a SP12 but the load I was using wasn't listed anywhere so I discontiued using it.1 1/4 oz of #2 shot will kill a skunk like right now, works on racoons too. Bigger shot suffers from too few pellets if the range increases and lighter shot runs out of energy too soon. Please note #2 shot is not kind to anything in it's way, either vermin or buildings, so aim carefully.Also; any true cylinder barrel shorter than 21 inches scatters too much for varmit work.

skunks, cats, or even dogs 20 gage, full choke, 28 inch barrel, high base bird shot. It works for me.

about 32 grains of 4756 is a good load, I use 27 grins of 800x, with 1 1/4 oz, if you have to leave a few of them #2's out to get a good crimp the skunks won't never tell!! :good: stephen