crazyhorse

Shooting in wet weather...

5 posts in this topic

Yesterday I went out with the Discovery and it was foggy with light sprinkles...just before leaving I set up a small target to take some test shots in the wind...(I'm trying to compile more range card data)..When I shot the Discovery it was so loud that my ears started ringing...I mean really loud....much louder than anytime I've shot this rifle...Has anyone experienced this with a PCP...??? I'm thinking the moist damp air had something to do with this...BugBuster023.jpg

The heavier air seems to keep the noise close to you. It's the same with a normal rifle or shotgun. But cool damp weather is my favorite time to hunt.

i'm new to air rifles, like i've said before, how much damage will hunting in the rain do to the rifle if any? what do i have to watch out for hunting in wet weather? better yet what concerns should be addressed when hunting in wet or damp weather.?

I wiped the barrel/receiver down with rust inhibiting oil and carried rifle muzzle down with a sling....

I agree about the noise. The dense air makes it seem much louder. I personally like to hunt when it just starts to lightly rain or drizzle. Keeps our scent down and I have had more game accindently walk right into my path then when in nice weather. The game starts moving around . Not sure if they are feeding last minute or looking for a place to hold up in. Another thing I do when hunting is to walk a huge circle. The wind will be in my favor much of the way. Happy hunting!